Patient Day London
Our 2016 London Patient Day was held at the Royal College of Surgeons in London. For 2017 we have decided to make our Patient Days more accessible to people in other parts of the country and will be announcing a series of regional events, starting with a Midlands event on Saturday 8 April.
Our 12th London Patient Day took place on Saturday 16 April and was attended by 330 people, including patients and relatives, colorectal nurses, speakers, exhibitors and charity staff and trustees.
We had a great day of networking, watching presentations on the latest treatments for bowel cancer and joining in meditation and keep fit workshops.
The day got off to a great start with a funny and moving talk by bowel cancer patient Paul Muscovitch from Manchester and ended with an emotional address from charity patron, Baroness Floella Benjamin.
We are very grateful to the colorectal nurses who volunteered to give one to one consultations to bowel cancer patients and to the speakers who gave up their Saturday to support us.
You can download some of the presentations here:
- Mr Peter Dawson – Consultant Colorectal Surgeon, Chelsea & Westminster NHS Foundation Trust, presenting on: Advances in bowel surgery
- Dr Jonathan Hoare – Consultant Gastroenterologist, St Mary’s Hospital, Imperial NHS Trust, presenting on: What can be done down the scope? What colonoscopy can contribute to the management and prevention of bowel cancer
- Mr Merv Rees – Consultant Hepatobilary Surgeon, Hampshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, presenting on: Advances in treatment options for liver metastases
- Dr Robert Thomas – Consultant Oncologist, Bedford & Addenbrooke’s Hospitals, presenting on: Lifestyle after cancer – self-help strategies
- Dr Helmut Roniger – Consultant at the Royal London Hospital for Integrated Medicine talking about: Complementary therapies to promote natural healing and help with emotional issues.
- Diana Tait – Consultant Clinical Oncologist at the Royal Marsden and Nick Battersby, Pelican Surgical research fellow who presented on: Rectal Cancer – treatment options and clinical trials.
- Jacquie Peck, Colorectal and Anal Cancer CNS and Julie Storrie, CNS in Bowel Management, both from UCLH, who gave practical tips on Regaining Bowel Control.
To see the organisations that supported Lonodn Patient Day please visit our Patient Day supporters page.