Lift the Lid Briefings
Talk to your MP: If you want to start a conversation with your constituency MP (England only) about how your local bowel cancer services might be improved then we have published our Lift The Lid briefings.
Beating Bowel Cancer is committed to securing improved outcomes for patients with bowel cancer. We believe that a major way to achieve this is to support choice and encourage regional benchmarking by publishing information and data. Across the year, we shall be publishing a series of briefings to provide up to date and comprehensive information on service variations for bowel cancer services in England.
These ‘localised’ briefings are intended to help you, as a supporter (Bowel Cancer Voice), to understand where improvements in services need to be made and as a tool for you to use confidently when you are talking to your constituency MP, who will be interested in the figures for their region and how these compare with other parts of the country.
The data included in these briefings cover the following areas in England only (regions explained here)
- North East
- North West
- Yorkshire and the Humber
- West Midlands
- East Midlands
- East of England
- South East
- South West
The briefings include information on the following:
Cancer Drugs Fund (England only)
- The data for applications to the Cancer Drugs Fund is collected and published according to NHS England regions
- These figures cannot be broken down any further into government regions or by any other boundaries
- Each of the four different NHS England regions covers a number of smaller areas:
- Midlands and East: East Midlands, West Midlands and East of England
- North: North West, North East and Yorkshire and the Humber
- South: South East, South West
- London: London
- Data for each of these regions includes combined figures from local hospital trusts
- You can find out more about the data and the Cancer Drugs Fund on the NHS England’s webpage: www.england.nhs.uk/ourwork/pe/cdf/
Cancer Patient Experience Survey
- This data is collected and published by individual hospital trusts providing bowel cancer services (eg. Barnsley Hospital NHS Foundation Trust)
- The areas that are used are the government regions, and above you can see which NHS England regions they fall under
- For the purposes of these briefings, an average result was calculated for the questions that were used from the survey by looking at the results available for all the trusts within each region
- The data in the Cancer Patient Experience Survey is available online.