Land’s End to John O’Groats Cycle
Registration fee: £299
Trip Cost: £1350
Sponsorship target: No minimum sponsorship target
Date: 29th August – 10th September 2017
We ask everyone who signs up to cover the costs of the trip themselves. This is payable directly to the tour operator – Discover Adventure
The ultimate UK cycle challenge
Starting at Land’s End on the southwest tip of England, you will pedal your way through Cornwall, over Dartmoor and north along the Welsh border, skirting the Lake District into Scotland, via lochs and mountains to the North coast and John O’Groats. Covering almost 1000 miles in 12 days you will pass through some of the most stunning and remote countryside in the British Isles.
A fantastic challenge and a great way to see the UK – end to end.
Sign up now
- Day 1: Cycle from Lands End through Cornwall on undulating roads (approx 80 miles)
- Day 2: Cross into Devon and over the tough climbs of Dartmoor (approx 77 miles)
- Day 3: Flat roads through Somerset; cross Severn Bridge to Wye Valley (approx 90 miles)
- Day 4: Undulating country roads via Hereford to Shrewsbury (approx 90 miles)
- Day 5: Flat, fast roads through Cheshire bypassing busy towns to Preston (approx 92 miles)
- Day 6: Long climb over Shap Fell and through Carlisle towards Scottish border (approx 90 miles)
- Day 7: Cross into Scotland at Gretna; mainly flat roads through lowlands to Kilmarnock (approx 100)
- Day 8: Rolling hills along coast; short ferry ride and loch-side cycle to Inverary (approx 80 miles)
- Day 9: Tougher day via highlands and castles through Fort William to Loch Lochy (approx 85 miles)
- Day 10: Cycle via Loch Ness to rolling moorlands and Bonar Bridge (approx 99 miles)
- Day 11: Short tough day through remote hills and moorland to north coast (approx 85 miles)
- Day 12: Pass beautiful beaches along coast; flatter roads to finish at John O’Groats; transfer to Inverness for big celebration! (approx 30 miles)
- Day 13: Depart Inverness
You will be staying in a mixture of accommodation which is included in the price of the trip. Generally this includes hotels and B&Bs.
All but two meals are included in the costs of the trip.
Breakfasts will be eaten at the hotel/B&B and lunches will consist of generous buffets with plenty of energy food to keep you going. Dinners will generally be eaten in hotels or locals pubs.
An experienced cycle leader will accompany the trip throughout. We will also have the support of a qualified first aider and a support vehicle with a driver/mechanic.
The following are not included as part of the event costs
- 1 breakfast and 1 evening meal as detailed in the itinerary
- Pre-event accommodation on the night before departure if needed
- Travel to and from the start and finish line to your home
You will be sent a comprehensive kit list once you register but below are some of essentials.
- Road bike / hybrid bike / mountain bike with touring tyres
- Water bottes
- Cycling gloves
- Bike lamps
- Small rucksack or small pannier
- Puncture repair kit
- Small tool kit
- Cycling clothing – lycra shorts, long cycling trousers, cycling T-shirts
The weather is likely to be changeable and therefore we recommend you pack for all types of weather including the cold, rain and sun.
Sign up now
If you have any questions about this event please get in touch with us on 020 8973 0003 or send us an email and we will be happy to help.
Please note that this is an open challenge. There will be people taking part in the challenge who are raising money for other charities.