Share |
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Chemo and PICC line  (Read 13755 times)
may

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 05:58:06 PM »

Had line in going to take time to get use to, my friend will flush it for me. I to fussy to do it my self, she feeds a foster kid through one, so glad Sam will help.
HeatherL
Volunteer Moderator

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 06:31:19 PM »

May you are really blessed with some wonderful friends, one in particular who is a lovely lady, I just know she is.
Polly 1

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 05:42:14 PM »

Just to keep this updated - chemo 5 (of 12) went OK. Same side effects of tingling fingers when he touches anything cold, 'yucky' taste in the mouth and tiredness - complete fatigue for 2 hour periods - for days 4-6 of the cycle.

Next chemo is on Thursday this week - blood counts allowing - and fingers crossed if all goes to the usual pattern he will start feeling a bit better by next Wednesday then almost 'normal' (whatever that means these days) until the next session.

Just hope the chemo is doing its job of attacking any stray little blighters who escaped (Dukes C 2/20 lymph nodes affected).
Brian
Volunteer Moderator

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 05:53:16 PM »

Great to have your news. All sounds pretty typical at the mo. You're doing a great job keeping your spirits up.  The fatigue is awful. Hope the rest of the week goes well and everything is good for the next round. B x

Every now and then beautiful angels appear cleverly disguised as ordinary human beings.

One day someone is going to hug you so tight that all of your broken pieces will stick back together again.
Polly 1

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2013, 05:05:28 PM »

Update

Last Thursday my husband had treatment 7 (of 12) so over half way there. Today is day 6 so he is very very tired with no energy, painful hands and feet (getting worse) and horrible taste in his mouth. His WBC and neutrophils had dropped again but just high enough for chemo so hope they rise again in time for number 8.

He's asleep again at the moment but not missing anything today - its pouring!
Brian
Volunteer Moderator

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2013, 06:20:49 PM »

Hi Polly. It brings back memories!  He's past half way, so that's a positive. Is your hubby having other drugs to help with the symptoms? They don't always work, mind you, but may be worth asking about if they have not been offered.  It's great that he is able to sleep and rest, though that won't help much if it's fatigue rather than tiredness.  Good luck as you move forward together. B

Every now and then beautiful angels appear cleverly disguised as ordinary human beings.

One day someone is going to hug you so tight that all of your broken pieces will stick back together again.
Alan C
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 06:53:16 PM »

Polly

Congratulations to your husband for sticking with the chemo, and to you for supporting him so well.

Chemo can be a real struggle at times. (I've still got numb toes on one foot to testify myself.)

Hope everything goes well for you both, including a change in the weather!
HeatherL
Volunteer Moderator

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 07:35:29 PM »

Hello Polly. Your hubby is doing well and I hope he continues to do so. I had to have mine reduced twice due to terrible diarrhoea and a break mid way as had to go into hospital the diarrhoea was so bad.
Best wishes to you both xx
Polly 1

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2013, 12:04:58 PM »

Hi all - thanks for your support. Good to know you are all there if we need any help.

It's a hard slog this chemo isn't it? Its so horrible on the bad days but to be honest as we go on we almost forget about it for the few days when he is feeling better and then we are trying to rush round catching up on things, visiting relatives etc. Then wham its back again and off we go to the chemo centre knowing things will go downhill again. It's almost tempting to keep driving and not go at all isnt it ;-)

No-one else sees the bad days (which for elderly parents is probably just as well). To wake up on day 7 and to hear him say 'I feel almost human again' is such a joy.

I am so lucky that as we both no longer work (mid/late 50's) we do not have that worry and we are able to be together through it and hopefully come out the other side. We are spending so much time together its lucky that we get on so well!!
Polly 1

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2013, 02:57:57 PM »

Here we are again

He had chemo number 8 of 12 (oxy then 48hr 5Fu via folfusor) last week and as I had read the side effects seem to be a bit worse this time. Although we have had a couple of days of nice warm weather he has still been feeling the cold. Last night he was sitting hugging a hot water bottle.

The 'sludge' feeling in his mouth hasn't gone for this session yet but his taste has picked up a bit today. Sunday & yesterday (day 4 & 5) he was just lost in a fog of fatigue. After a couple of hours sleep then an hour or so sitting round not doing much it's just as if a plug has been pulled out and his energy level just plummets.

Today he's just had two 'naps' so far and hopefully when he wakes we will have a little stroll 'around the block' for some fresh air.

It's so hard seeing him struggle to keep awake during his bad days. With wind, hiccups, grumbling tummy, fuzzy head and sharp tingling in his fingers, toes, lips and end of his nose. He is so disappointed when he has something to eat and it dosn't taste nice - at least he still has an appetite its just that most of the time it just tastes awful. 

Anyway nothing we can't cope with together and hopefully from tomorrow onwards the sparkle will start to come back in his eyes.
Hazel
Volunteer Moderator

Everything is better in Purple!!

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2013, 03:09:52 PM »

Hi polly yes the chemo does hit you more towards the end, the body is being hit hard and needs to recuperate you can feel very tired and lethargic. I found that it didn't take too long once the treatment was over to feel better, I also think the last few treatments are the hardest as you know the end is only just around the corner. I hope that he feels better soon.

Call the nurses on 08450 719 301
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have!
Blogging at http://elkamouri.blogspot.co.uk/
Below is a bit about me and bowel cancer
http://www.beatingbowelcancer.org/forum/index.php/topic,1677.0.html
Brian
Volunteer Moderator

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2013, 06:25:31 PM »

Polly, the only comfort that we can offer, is to say that what you describe is not unusual. I had quite a few weeks off treatment towards the end because I had become so poorly, but remember he's nearly done, and this is the most challenging time. I agree with Hazel, and hope things soon turn around. B

cdando
HITW members

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2013, 10:52:02 AM »

Hi
Carol here
Just an update Been back in hospital with picc line infection and had it removed but I am at home now
I am to see the oncologist tomorrow so long discussions to what happens next I have a feeling it will be more chemo
What is the general concensus on picc line or hickman line I seem to hear problems of more infection with hickman ?
Thank goodness this did not happen over the last six weeks as we have the most incredible time with our family from Australia
They are now back home so Skype is kicking in big time
Love to everyone
Hazel
Volunteer Moderator

Everything is better in Purple!!

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2013, 01:13:47 PM »

Glad that you had such a good time with your family, my picc line was infected too the first one though was fine, never had a Hickman line but I imagine that the risk of infection is probably much the same just because they are foreign bodies with a site that could be open to infection. Hope yr visit with the onco goes ok tomorrow.

Call the nurses on 08450 719 301
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have!
Blogging at http://elkamouri.blogspot.co.uk/
Below is a bit about me and bowel cancer
http://www.beatingbowelcancer.org/forum/index.php/topic,1677.0.html
Brian
Volunteer Moderator

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2013, 04:41:40 PM »

Hi Carol. From what I hear PICC is best, but I suppose you just have to go along with what will have the greatest benefit for you. Lots of positive thoughts winging your way for tomorrow. Hope it all goes well.  B

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: