Share |
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: Lung Secondaries  (Read 36900 times)
alisonhelen
Volunteer Moderator

It's good to be alive!

« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2011, 01:48:39 PM »

Ditto re scarring! i was told after my very first scan that I had scarring on my lungs, make you wonder..............  My scars too turned out to be tumours a few months later  Sad

Alison x

Come with me on a journey, no map, destination unknown and I'll travel your path with you. We'll hold each other up when the road gets steep, we'll laugh and cry along the way, because I feel your pain and you feel mine.
Feel free to read my blog:-'Why not me?' http://alisonhelen.blogspot.co.uk/
suze
Volunteer Moderator

Take Heart.

« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2011, 03:14:01 PM »

hiya

yes, I tink this is not a BAD place for me, atm .. being able to have lung surgery is a rare enough thing to get at this stage ... according the Macmillan site  ...

Surgery to remove the secondary lung cancer may be possible for a small number of people. It may be an option only if the primary cancer has been controlled and there is no evidence of the cancer having spread anywhere else in the body. It also requires the cancer to be affecting just one small part of the lungs, which is easy to get to, and not attached to important blood vessels or nerves.

fingers crossed, eh?

On the other hand, I'd rather think I has scarring than tumours for the past 18  months ... I am not 100% keen on TMI! hence I  dont care to be told about tiny tumours either, but that is what I mean about the PET scans leaving fewer places to hide ...  Lips sealed

Sept 2006 Dx. Chemo-rad. to down-size. Jan '07, surgery and ileostomy. March '07-Oct07, 12 cycles of chemo. Jun 08, Ileo reversed.  Oct 09, fresh mets: bowel and lungs. 2nd bowel op. Dec 09-May10, more chemo. 18 months off! Dec 2011, lung mets grew - Jan 2012, lung surgery.
Dec '13 hernia repair
alisonhelen
Volunteer Moderator

It's good to be alive!

« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2011, 03:33:05 PM »

Do you know when you're getting your PET scan Suze?

Come with me on a journey, no map, destination unknown and I'll travel your path with you. We'll hold each other up when the road gets steep, we'll laugh and cry along the way, because I feel your pain and you feel mine.
suze
Volunteer Moderator

Take Heart.

« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2011, 08:50:58 PM »

Do you know when you're getting your PET scan Suze?

Weds this week,

See onco following Tuesday ..

not long to wait either way, is it!

Am decorating the lounge-diner .. last bit of home improvements, I had hoped to leave it till after xmas, but  am motoring on now .. distracting at least!

Sept 2006 Dx. Chemo-rad. to down-size. Jan '07, surgery and ileostomy. March '07-Oct07, 12 cycles of chemo. Jun 08, Ileo reversed.  Oct 09, fresh mets: bowel and lungs. 2nd bowel op. Dec 09-May10, more chemo. 18 months off! Dec 2011, lung mets grew - Jan 2012, lung surgery.
Dec '13 hernia repair
alisonhelen
Volunteer Moderator

It's good to be alive!

« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2011, 09:07:44 PM »

Good luck, will be winging positive vibes into that damned machine for you!

I'm sure I could find you some decorating to do here if you ever need more distraction. Bob seems to think that now he's over 60 the decorating magically does itself........ probably in the same way the ironing and cooking do!

I have a CT scan this Friday, results the following Friday and I'm having another CT scan sometime soon to discover if it is the stomach muscle constricting my stoma! Hum de la ha!!

Hazel
Volunteer Moderator

Everything is better in Purple!!

« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2011, 09:16:59 PM »

I am having radiotherapy on Mon Tues Wed Thurs and Fri........the thought of a brief distraction to a CT scanner or a PET Scanner where at least you get a kip is starting to feel slightly appealing....good luck to both of you and Vibes in abundance!!!!!

Call the nurses on 08450 719 301
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have!
Blogging at http://elkamouri.blogspot.co.uk/
Below is a bit about me and bowel cancer
http://www.beatingbowelcancer.org/forum/index.php/topic,1677.0.html
suze
Volunteer Moderator

Take Heart.

« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2011, 03:01:13 PM »

so, the news is GOOD .. on that relative scale of news when you have advanced cancer  Wink

The PET scan confirms no other growths, so I seem to be a strong contender for the lung surgery and have been referred to a chest surgeon .. awaiting an appointment now
x

Dec '13 hernia repair
alisonhelen
Volunteer Moderator

It's good to be alive!

« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2011, 03:10:40 PM »

Am so glad for you Suze, you do everything in your power to stop those damn invaders from coming back, from eating healthily, exercise, and positive thought. Most of us struggle with one of these, but your committment to all three has obviously paid off. I know the idea of more surgery is daunting, but at least you have a good option and I know you'll probably take it.

You're an inspiration to so many of us on here, so go for it girl and then you will be able to advise us with even more knowledge!

From one happy friend, Alison xx

Hazel
Volunteer Moderator

« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2011, 06:19:35 PM »

So pleased for you Suze having options is a particularly good place to find yourself in.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have!
suze
Volunteer Moderator

Take Heart.

« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2011, 03:12:08 PM »

Thanks ladies ...
I apprecaite your support and also kind words, Alison, though I would say that while I certainly DO try everything I can to help myself, I do really think it's also luck, mainly  ... some little thing that gives one of us a better break than another of us ... it's a bit of a mirage to think we have much control over cancer, really!  It is not all down to how hard you "fight" ...  in the end cancer is the boss .. we can only coax ..

but I am glad to be facing more surgery from a position of relative strength with my general health being quite  good ... so that should be a bonus in the post-op situation too .
x

Dec '13 hernia repair
alisonhelen
Volunteer Moderator

It's good to be alive!

« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2011, 10:33:38 PM »

Well ladies I'm now back on the lung secondaries pathway again B****r!

Saw my liver consultant at Kings in London on Friday after my 3 month scan and the blighters are back in both lungs, 2 in each. On the periphory on the right lung (best place to have them says my consultant) and bang in the middle near the hyem (branches) on the left (not where we like them says my consultant)........personally, I don't like them anywhere. Anyway it's back to see my friendly oncologist at my local hospital ASAP to see what chemical delights he has for me this time. I managed to phone my CR nurse on the way home Friday afternoon to tell her the news and she is going to see if he'll fit me in for an appt on Wednesday, so again it'll be Christmas spent on chemo. If the chemo starts to shrink the tumours they may then consider RFA or surgery, but only if the chemo shows to be working, but in the meantime my liver consultant is referring me to a thorasic consultant again at Kings.

So the battle is back on and thankfully I'm still full of energy to fight, I got back in the saddle friday evening and went to a wine and wisdom, no we didn't win and my attention wasn't always there, but I enjoyed seeing friends, I also enjoyed the wine......................     Today we had 8 for lunch, so Saturday was spent cooking, very theraputic for me, so I defied all that is written in the Anti-cancer book and made 3 very sinful desserts, profiteroles, rhubarb cheesecake and apple crumble cake, I will be back on the plan again next week Suze don't fret! My husband without even being asked, cleaned the bathrooms, hoovered, washed the windows and sort of tidied; now I know he understands about stage 4 cancer and that it CAN and WILL come back, he was with me on Friday and has always thought that as I beat the odds last time I was cured, it's a relief to know he understands at last and has been a rock this weekend. Again it was horrid, horrid, horrid telling the kids (grown up kids) the worst bit of this whole journey and I cuddled my 27 year old daughter for hours, she's still angry (not with me but with the disease), but is still carrying on with her plans to buy a house (thankfully) so I know she's OK.

I'm supposed to be having an op on my stoma, so no idea what will happen there, I need the op as my stoma blocks and it's like going through childbirth again for several hours till it behaves again, but I know they won't be able to start chemo until the wound has healed and chemo needs to be started as of yesterday! So it's a chicken and egg situation, but I'm sure my onco will tell me what it's to be!

Ok, enough waffle from me, I'm OK, I'm positive, I shall carry on working (side effects permitting and they'll have to be bloody awful before I'll give in to the blighters).

Thanks to all my forum friends, you all give me strength.

Much love, Alison

Hazel
Volunteer Moderator

« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2011, 01:05:54 AM »

Hi Alison

Glad to hear that hub is helping, it is the worst thing about this how it effects others around you, my lung mets have been hanging around for 4 years now and i feel no side effects from them, in both lungs two main and some new smatterings.
It pulls you up when the news isn't what you want to hear, but you sound  able to readjust, reassess and march on.
I hope the support of a family that sound great from the snippets i see here and there, keeps you bouyant.... i think there is a lot more to the science of names too  Smiley
Take Care x x x

alisonhelen
Volunteer Moderator

It's good to be alive!

« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2011, 07:50:07 AM »

"Women are like T bags. You never know how strong they are until they're in hot water."  Eleanor Roosevelt.

suze
Volunteer Moderator

Take Heart.

« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2011, 09:23:21 AM »

Oh Alison,
you'd think we'd get used to it, wouldn't you .. hearing bad news, reading heart-wrenching things ..

Perhaps it is a good thing that we don't, really, get used to t  ...

Your post had tears streaming down my face, for so many reasons ... for your news, for your  stoicism, for your good humour, your husband, your kids .... endless reasons to weep ...

a beautiful, heart-rending post, my friend.

At least your puddings had some fruit in them!  We've been comfort-eating christmas cake that B's relatives make for us ... oh dear!

I am so glad we have met, the sharing we do is valuable to us all ...  and I wish you all the best in the next steps of your encounter,

x

Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 09:26:05 AM by suze » Logged

Dec '13 hernia repair
suze
Volunteer Moderator

Take Heart.

« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2011, 03:29:57 PM »

Saw "my" surgeon today .. unlike my oncologist he rather forced me to look at the CT scan .. thre is a hint that small tumours are waiting to grow, but they cannot really tell one way or another at this stage if they are old scars or new potential for trouble  .. as you all said, PET scans do not pick up vey little active tumours  ...   he didn't have my old scans to hand to compare, so he will look at that again to see how long these nodes have been there  ...

He still thinks it is worth going ahead with the surgery, mainly because of the time elapsed already is "good" from the point of view of not expecting lots of new growths ... and the one he will be removing is near to the other tiny spots he can see, so he says he might be able to peg them for future radiation

He reckons the location of the tumour is favourable, though it is higher up and nearer to my heart than I had envisaged!  Undecided   he will start with laproscopic techniques and switch to more invasive surgery if he needs to for the right level of access to the growth

on  the question of open or laproscopic techniques  he said that the old view was the touching the actual was  good way of knowing its extent, but he sort of feels improvements in CT scanning have made that a it passť now ... and we can "risk" trying for  laproscopic approach ...

I really liked him.  

He will treat me after Christmas, exact date tba ... I am on HRT so he has to wait 6 weeks for that to clear in interests of reducing clot risk!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 09:23:26 PM by suze » Logged

Dec '13 hernia repair
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: