Share |
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: Lung Secondaries  (Read 36850 times)
suze
Volunteer Moderator

Take Heart.

« Reply #135 on: January 22, 2012, 10:10:35 AM »

Hiya --

Slightly pulling the tread back onto the track of lung treatments ... my surgeon explained today the amazing bit of kit he used to do the VATS (video assisted thoracis surgery).  HE was waxing lyrical about a "gun" device that cuts AND staples three rows of staples into the wound behind the incision.  He has only had access to this amazing device for less than a year and it reduces bleeding because it is so quick and tidy to use ...

If you google VATS you get to see quite a lot about what is invololved in this procedure, but I only did that AFTER my op.  Before hand I prefer not to visualise these things in too much detail, it makes it too graphic and harder to shrug off mentally .. for me.   I have still never looked at any images related to the bowel surgery!

In fact, the keyhole nature of this VATS makes it enormously less invasive .. and therefore much easier to recover from ... far les pain.  I have located a (rather chilling)  photo of what it looks like to have your ribs "spread" which is a euphemism cos really they have to break the ribs and push them aside in the traditional open surgery .. I hope I can expunge that memory if there is ever a need to go down that route in the future!   The surgeon was up-beat about the fact that he would happily operate on either side of me again  if there is recurrence in my lungs.   Having a VATS procedure means you get less adhesions, so the re-visit on the same side is more feasible.

If you NEED to see it, this page has a video, tho tbh I have not looked at it!
http://www.cts.usc.edu/videoassistedthoracoscopicsurgery.html

This link includes a drawing of the traditional access route through "spread" ribs  -- again, open only if you really NEED to see this stuff!
http://www.thoracicgroup.com/about_vats.php

Sept 2006 Dx. Chemo-rad. to down-size. Jan '07, surgery and ileostomy. March '07-Oct07, 12 cycles of chemo. Jun 08, Ileo reversed.  Oct 09, fresh mets: bowel and lungs. 2nd bowel op. Dec 09-May10, more chemo. 18 months off! Dec 2011, lung mets grew - Jan 2012, lung surgery.
Dec '13 hernia repair
alisonhelen
Volunteer Moderator

It's good to be alive!

« Reply #136 on: January 22, 2012, 04:40:15 PM »

Thanks Suze! May need to know about this, when they have all my scans together in the same place and at the same time! They are having a 3rd MDT meeting about me on Tuesday in 5 weeks, so lets hope they have all the info this time! I raised 'Cain' last time and then I was unprepared to have to do so....... this time they'd better beware!

Glad to see you looking so well!

Alison xx

Come with me on a journey, no map, destination unknown and I'll travel your path with you. We'll hold each other up when the road gets steep, we'll laugh and cry along the way, because I feel your pain and you feel mine.
Feel free to read my blog:-'Why not me?' http://alisonhelen.blogspot.co.uk/
suze
Volunteer Moderator

Take Heart.

« Reply #137 on: February 05, 2012, 01:08:26 PM »

Hiya

four weeks since my op and I feel pretty good ..  the lung re-inflated no trouble and filled the space in the cavity with no gaps/ fluid etc to cause trouble for me

I have been doing a lot of walking and a bit of gentle yoga stuff, as prescribed by the physios at hospital.... my surgeon told me I could have gone out for a spin on the bike today but it is too snowy for that.

I get tired though, if I am busy-ish one day I still feel weedy the next ... but then I am a bit like that all the time these days .. I will push myself, but seem to get a knock-back shortly after to remind me not to over-do it!

I seem to be breathing fine, and that is not painful anymore, generally.

Pain wise, other than breathing ... it is not too bad, the scars on my side/back are tender if touched and sometimes there is some aching under the ribs at the back, where he went in.  I can pretty much lie on either side as usual in bed now ...

What is more surprising is the pain at the front of my abdomen, over the lower ribs and tummy area.  Apparently this is the pain from nerves he damaged on the way in at the back... the nerves around your ribs being radial, their sense of where the trouble is seems to be a referred pain ... over quite a large area, in my case ...

At best it feels a bit like nettle rash under my skin .. at worst it feels like a bad burn, very sore and tender. Surgeon told me to keep taking pain killers (co-codomol and ibuprofen) which I have reduced since I got home, but I cannot cope without them totally yet .. I have no idea how long this nerve damage might take to repair .. might do some more research on that ..

Snow makes it easy to be lazy .. I am working on sewing projects to keep me distracted.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 01:11:28 PM by suze » Logged

Sept 2006 Dx. Chemo-rad. to down-size. Jan '07, surgery and ileostomy. March '07-Oct07, 12 cycles of chemo. Jun 08, Ileo reversed.  Oct 09, fresh mets: bowel and lungs. 2nd bowel op. Dec 09-May10, more chemo. 18 months off! Dec 2011, lung mets grew - Jan 2012, lung surgery.
Dec '13 hernia repair
suze
Volunteer Moderator

Take Heart.

« Reply #138 on: April 08, 2012, 10:37:52 AM »

Update on healing .. it all went pretty well, but I still get some sensations of pain around the front of my ribs, which are worse, even "quite bad" when I am tired ... it is 3 months since the operation now.

I did my physio breathing and stretching exercises religiouslyas instucted; my breathing and movement now seem perfectly normal again and I have resumed cycling at least on the flat, with occasional hills, which also seems OK most of the time .. although I am noticeably slower and need more rest after exercse than I used to.

In fact I feel pretty weedy quite often, which maybe related to the ongoing effects of all my treatments, but coudl be excaerbateed by a persistent throat virus which  I have been labouring with for a month now .... it is getting better but I suspect still debilitiating me liek a flu type thing  .. it takes me a while to recover from anything like that nowadays, perhaps ecuase my white blood cell count has never really recovered to normal after the chemo (which finished two years ago!)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 10:43:05 AM by suze » Logged

Dec '13 hernia repair
Hazel
Volunteer Moderator

Everything is better in Purple!!

« Reply #139 on: April 08, 2012, 12:21:19 PM »

Thanks for the update Suze glad to hear that you are getting there you are certainly far fitter than me Smiley

Call the nurses on 08450 719 301
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have!
Blogging at http://elkamouri.blogspot.co.uk/
Below is a bit about me and bowel cancer
http://www.beatingbowelcancer.org/forum/index.php/topic,1677.0.html
alisonhelen
Volunteer Moderator

It's good to be alive!

« Reply #140 on: April 08, 2012, 09:07:08 PM »

Suze looked absolutely glowing when I saw her last week and she certainly doesn't get out of breath when talking, which I can assure you we did plenty of that day!

I think we sometimes forget exactly what we've been through, surgery with it's anaesthetics, chemo with it's chemicals which kill or damage everything in it's path, especially the damage done to our immunity, radiotherapy, CT scans and X-rays.. what damage do those high blasts of radiation do to us? Steroids, MRI scans, PET scans, bone scans. Then what about the stress..... before after and during procedures, then the worst one, following scans and the build up to seeing our oncologists? ..........and we expect our bodies and minds to be as they were pre-diagnosis..... I don't think so!

So Suze, you are the perfect example of a healthy stage 4 advanced bowel cancer survivor! If we all looked and could function like you, we'd put those oncologists out of a job! So whatever you're doing...... and most of us do know, kepp at it girl!

Alison

Come with me on a journey, no map, destination unknown and I'll travel your path with you. We'll hold each other up when the road gets steep, we'll laugh and cry along the way, because I feel your pain and you feel mine.
suze
Volunteer Moderator

Take Heart.

« Reply #141 on: April 12, 2012, 10:55:48 AM »

Sweet of you Alison. Yes. There are still days when it all takes its toll. And those scans come around all too quickly.

Dec '13 hernia repair
rose57

« Reply #142 on: April 13, 2012, 12:09:09 AM »

Suze
sorry the throat problem is still ongoing, must be very frustrating.    Undecided

Are you being given any meds for it?

Cancer hates smiles  Smiley
suze
Volunteer Moderator

Take Heart.

« Reply #143 on: April 13, 2012, 08:00:09 AM »

Rose, I think the throat virus was a totally sepeate issue, my wife had it first! It took her nearly three weeks to stop coughing, and I take longer cos I have a weaker immune system, so the flu-y achey-painy side of it lasted longer, but I think I am over it now ... though I am hardly testing it!   I contemplated seeing a GP but I thought is was getting better, albeit slowly and what can they do for a virus?  Undecided

Dec '13 hernia repair
alisonhelen
Volunteer Moderator

It's good to be alive!

« Reply #144 on: April 20, 2012, 08:53:03 PM »

Hope by now that cough of yours has cleared up Suze! If not, have you tried inhaling tiger balm dissolved in boiling water, with a towel over your head? not a good look I know, but may well do the trick!

Alison xx

suze
Volunteer Moderator

Take Heart.

« Reply #145 on: April 20, 2012, 08:54:40 PM »

Thanks, yes it has gone, it was a persitent virus, but as B had had it too I was qutie sure it was not related to anything serious.

Nice to see you back with us, missis ...  Kiss

Dec '13 hernia repair
alisonhelen
Volunteer Moderator

It's good to be alive!

« Reply #146 on: April 21, 2012, 03:19:30 PM »

Yes! Am back....... needed a break from the forum for a while to sort my own head out.... but more about that in a thread I will post later!

Thanks Suze for 'being there' when you knew I was at a low point, only someone who has been there etc knows how much it means!

XXX

suze
Volunteer Moderator

Take Heart.

« Reply #147 on: April 21, 2012, 06:14:31 PM »

You are welcome Alison,

I was only sorry we couldn't catch you on the way back too --  and we are soooo glad your bad news was not quite so bad as they first thought .. and hope your new surgery has doen the trick too
xxxxxx

Dec '13 hernia repair
alisonhelen
Volunteer Moderator

It's good to be alive!

« Reply #148 on: April 21, 2012, 07:07:19 PM »

Thanks Suze, in answer to your question about stoma see

http://www.beatingbowelcancer.org/forum/index.php/topic,1736.msg7280.html#new

Alison

cdando
HITW members

« Reply #149 on: May 29, 2012, 02:54:24 PM »

Well this cancer is not finished with me yet.
Seen my consultant and he wants one more try and get the rest of the pelvic tumour that was left behind last year.
Feel very apprehensive this time round and it is sometimes very hard to be strong for my family.
The surgeon is very confident so I feel that perhaps one last try is going to be worth it
I think the three months I spent in hospital which by the way is out of my area so visiting becomes a problem is still very fresh in my mind
Well heres hoping it wont be as long this time so we are back to waiting for admission and the the road to recovery
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: