Share |
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: single stoma handling both outputs  (Read 1450 times)
andyc

« on: May 11, 2012, 10:39:06 AM »

I am seeing a urologist on Tuesday prior to surgery and may be offered a choice.

I think the choice will be between a single stoma handling solids and liquid outputs or two separate stomas.

I already have managed a loop ileostomy for 8 months and my instinctive reaction would be to favour two separate bags as my worst fear is accidents and I suspect handling both outputs - even in a single bigger bag - would increase the likelihood of leaks and accidents.

I guess the disadvantages of two bags are cosmetic and more frequent visits to the loo for emptying.

Does anyone have any real-life experience of managing two bags or a single bag handling both outputs like this ?

Thanks - Andy

suze
Volunteer Moderator

Take Heart.

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 01:05:17 PM »

I do not  -- but I have know /  read about a few ppl who have,  including my grandad many years ago ..

I think you might get more response if you post this question on the IA site ..

From what I recall reading in there in the past  -- my understanding is that the urine-thing is the hardest stoma to live with cos it is so WET and thus likely to get under the flange and irriate your skin -- which it is liable to do, being so acidic .. 

I also think the urine one can be tapped out to a bottle by your bed for draining in the night, to allow for better sleep without having to get up to empty it  ...  I dunno if you could achieve that with a combined output?

My personal feeling based on that would be to keep them seperate, but obviously it adds another level of daily chore to the bag routines and makes feeling sexy a bit more of a challenge, and you are going to be very compromised in that department anyway  Undecided

How common is that dual output solution?  You might have to hit Google and take the rough with the smooth in terms of what you have to read to get informed opinion on this issue

all the best,
 Kiss

Sept 2006 Dx. Chemo-rad. to down-size. Jan '07, surgery and ileostomy. March '07-Oct07, 12 cycles of chemo. Jun 08, Ileo reversed.  Oct 09, fresh mets: bowel and lungs. 2nd bowel op. Dec 09-May10, more chemo. 18 months off! Dec 2011, lung mets grew - Jan 2012, lung surgery.
Dec '13 hernia repair
suze
Volunteer Moderator

Take Heart.

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 01:08:06 PM »

Re. the dual output idea ... do  they propose to take a line from your urinary tract to your bowel and then out through the stoma?

another thing that would worry me it the risk of fistulas, I would certainly research that a bit more ..
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 08:42:26 AM by suze » Logged

Sept 2006 Dx. Chemo-rad. to down-size. Jan '07, surgery and ileostomy. March '07-Oct07, 12 cycles of chemo. Jun 08, Ileo reversed.  Oct 09, fresh mets: bowel and lungs. 2nd bowel op. Dec 09-May10, more chemo. 18 months off! Dec 2011, lung mets grew - Jan 2012, lung surgery.
Dec '13 hernia repair
Happy S

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 12:08:22 PM »

Sorry this is a bit late and I hope you are doing well. Check out http://www.living-with-a-stoma.co.uk/index.html Jean, the lady that runs the site, has had two stomas since 1995 -a colostomy and a urostomy. I guess she's well qualified to give you some advice. I have an ileostomy so can't add anything from personal experience.

Best wishes 
Hazel
Volunteer Moderator

Everything is better in Purple!!

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 01:34:08 PM »

hi Happy s thanks for that and welcome to the forum!

Call the nurses on 08450 719 301
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have!
Blogging at http://elkamouri.blogspot.co.uk/
Below is a bit about me and bowel cancer
http://www.beatingbowelcancer.org/forum/index.php/topic,1677.0.html
alisonhelen
Volunteer Moderator

It's good to be alive!

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 02:54:15 PM »

Hi Andy, have you thought about contacting your stoma nurse and asking her to put you in touch with someone in your area who has personal knowledge of either or both alternatives. Speaking on the phone or even better face to face with someone who has experience, is surely the best way to make up your mind.

Hope you sort things out in a way you are happy with and do let us know what you decide and perhaps later post about how you are finding things, we are lacking in this sort of experience on our forum.

Best wishes, Alison

Come with me on a journey, no map, destination unknown and I'll travel your path with you. We'll hold each other up when the road gets steep, we'll laugh and cry along the way, because I feel your pain and you feel mine.
Feel free to read my blog:-'Why not me?' http://alisonhelen.blogspot.co.uk/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: