Share |
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: A Curry a week?  (Read 3887 times)
ChrisF

« on: May 07, 2012, 07:58:02 AM »

<<topics merged>> suze may 2012

News story following up on the revelation that Curcumin may have a reversing effect on cancer of the oesophagus (2009).  It is intereasting to note the editorial history with a note in 2001 that curcumin might be linked to improvements in the treatment of Altzheimers (2001), followed by a further news story that Curcumin may have beneficial effects on Dementia.  8 years on, and nearly the same story.
Apparently this new trial will involve 40 patients at one hospital.  (Might get recognised in about 40 years as a treatment, then!)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17959521
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 06:11:57 PM by suze » Logged
chools
Volunteer Moderator

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 09:16:59 AM »

I've also read that the effects of turmeric are reduced if taken as a capsule/tablet rather than combined with food. The trial would be much better if people were given a curry every week!

Illness is neither an indulgence for which people have to pay, nor an offence for which they should be penalised, but a misfortune, the cost of which should be shared by the community
suze
Volunteer Moderator

Take Heart.

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 12:04:29 PM »

I do not need to wait for the results of these trials to  eat a curry A DAY! There is enough evidence already around to convince me that it is worth doing!

Sept 2006 Dx. Chemo-rad. to down-size. Jan '07, surgery and ileostomy. March '07-Oct07, 12 cycles of chemo. Jun 08, Ileo reversed.  Oct 09, fresh mets: bowel and lungs. 2nd bowel op. Dec 09-May10, more chemo. 18 months off! Dec 2011, lung mets grew - Jan 2012, lung surgery.
Dec '13 hernia repair
Hazel
Volunteer Moderator

Everything is better in Purple!!

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 12:08:13 PM »

Just heard the report on radio two news and immediately thought of you suze. Need to take another batch of veg curry from the freezer:) it is great that it is now being recognised by the medics.

Call the nurses on 08450 719 301
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have!
Blogging at http://elkamouri.blogspot.co.uk/
Below is a bit about me and bowel cancer
http://www.beatingbowelcancer.org/forum/index.php/topic,1677.0.html
suze
Volunteer Moderator

Take Heart.

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 12:18:15 PM »

Well there are various sorts of trials, etc, and some medics already know that turmeric works in animals.  There is no need to wait for a different level of "proof" ...

It reminds me of when people wanted to deny that smoking causes cancer in the past.  To actually PROVE it was a causal link to the required standards was not an easy task, but some people could see enough links to make it sensible to stop smoking.

Even now people will use the FACT that not all smokers  get cancer as an argument in favour of smoking ... they just want to put their heads in the sand about how science actually works.  Yes, not everything affects everyone the same way, but as a global population smoking can cause cancer, and likewise, turmeric can help fight it.

so I think: not all cancer drugs work for all patients, but it is worth taking them in case they work for you --  especially agents like turmeric which has no side-effects apart from staining your house and all its contents with yellow freckles!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 12:21:20 PM by suze » Logged

Sept 2006 Dx. Chemo-rad. to down-size. Jan '07, surgery and ileostomy. March '07-Oct07, 12 cycles of chemo. Jun 08, Ileo reversed.  Oct 09, fresh mets: bowel and lungs. 2nd bowel op. Dec 09-May10, more chemo. 18 months off! Dec 2011, lung mets grew - Jan 2012, lung surgery.
Dec '13 hernia repair
suzieQ
HITW members

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 07:49:22 PM »

I just heard they have announced on radio 4 today that someone is starting a 4 year clinical trial on the impact of Turmeric on bowel cancer. I will see if I can find any more information, but has anyone else out there heard about this? It would be great if this were true.
chools
Volunteer Moderator

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 07:51:35 PM »

More info posted by Chris here Suzie:

http://www.beatingbowelcancer.org/forum/index.php/topic,1810.0.html

Illness is neither an indulgence for which people have to pay, nor an offence for which they should be penalised, but a misfortune, the cost of which should be shared by the community
chools
Volunteer Moderator

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 07:56:11 PM »

Not much money in turmeric for the drug companies though, curry's on the NHS could be interesting  Smiley

It certainly stains, and always splatters onto light coloured clothing!

suzieQ
HITW members

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 08:09:00 PM »

Ok, have had a look at it now, thanks Chools. It is great that it has been recognised that Turmeric may be an important element cancer prevention. I hate to sound like a sceptic but I am disappointed that there are only 40 patients in the trial, insufficient numbers to be of clinical significance. It also appears that it purely shows the impact on the effectiveness of chemotherapy. Without doubt, whatever the result, the outcome will almost certainly state that more trials on larger numbers of patients are required, but it is a start!

In the meantime, as Suze says, there is no harm done in eating a curry a day, and it may well do you good.
Clive

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 11:58:24 AM »

I don't understand why they have to carry out a clinical trail at all!

"They" only have to look at the incidence of cancer in India & Asia compared to the Western world.

I bought a bag of Turmeric last week & tried making tea from it. Well, actually what I did was boil some water, put it in a cup & then put a tbspn of turmeric in it. My partner actually drank it too, but I found these in Tesco yesterday:

http://www.pukkaherbs.com/tea-room/all-our-teas/three-ginger.html

They smell/taste quite nice too.
Nancy
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 12:22:49 PM »

Hi everyone

There is more on this study, led by the Chair of our Medical Board, on our website here: http://www.beatingbowelcancer.org/news/may2012/new-study-examines-whether-turmeric-can-help-beat-bowel-cancer

best wishes
Nancy
suzieQ
HITW members

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 05:30:04 PM »

The thing is Clive, that the absence of colon cancer in certain parts of the world is not clearly down to ingesting Turmeric. It could be that they don't eat much red meat, or because they eat more veg than us. Or it could be that they eat more coriander than us. The trial will aim to prove that it is Turmeric that has the ability to prevent cancer cells from developing.  You are very brave taking Turmeric in a drink. I just add it to soups and stews.
Suzie
suze
Volunteer Moderator

Take Heart.

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 06:10:31 PM »

My yoga teacher told me to drink turmeric in milk, it is traditional in India, apparently .... but I didn't like it !

I take my turmeric dissolved in fat with black pepper and cooked into savoury dishes .. the black pepper massively increases the effectiveness  of the turmeric.

The same woman told me to drinks spoonfuls of ginger and garlic juice each day ... but I found this to be a potent emetic and have not been able to persevere with it!

Dec '13 hernia repair
suze
Volunteer Moderator

Take Heart.

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 06:17:18 PM »

The thing is Clive, that the absence of colon cancer in certain parts of the world is not clearly down to ingesting Turmeric. It could be that they don't eat much red meat, or because they eat more veg than us. Or it could be that they eat more coriander than us. The trial will aim to prove that it is Turmeric that has the ability to prevent cancer cells from developing.  You are very brave taking Turmeric in a drink. I just add it to soups and stews.
Suzie

I agree that it is hard to isolate a single factor, and really the best advice is to adopt the most Asian style diet you can cope with .. and adopt a  meditative mental set as well ... ideally

but there is already proof that turmeric is effective on cancer cells in test-tubes and on small animals.  What is not available is large scale human tests, and I must admit I think  chools has it with his point about the lack of profit in seeing what a known compound can do compared to inventing a new one for chemortherapy.

Dec '13 hernia repair
Hazel
Volunteer Moderator

Everything is better in Purple!!

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 08:08:02 PM »

The reports though are that Tumeric is helping the effects of chemo, it isn't being espoused as a replacment at the moment.

Call the nurses on 08450 719 301
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have!
Blogging at http://elkamouri.blogspot.co.uk/
Below is a bit about me and bowel cancer
http://www.beatingbowelcancer.org/forum/index.php/topic,1677.0.html
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: