Share |
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coming home  (Read 1202 times)
Sam

« on: June 02, 2012, 06:50:46 AM »

Hi,
I recently posted under 'advice please' about my Dad. An update is that he is progressing really well, and he may be coming home today or Sunday (3rd June)  Smiley , he has been given a 'do's and don'ts list' for food, called a low residue diet. Does anyone have any idea how long he should follow this for, it seems to be heavily into very processed food and not too healthy. I understand that this is designed to rest the bowel, but am concerned about him getting sufficient vitamins and minerals to help build him back up post surgery. Many thanks. Sam
Mary HB
Volunteer Moderator

Live Long and Prosper

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 09:18:43 AM »

Hi Sam,

I'm pleased to hear your Dad may be coming home today or tomorrow. I'm sorry I can't help with any dietary tips as I have ne experience of that sort of diet, but I sure some of regulars wiill come on here with advice. 
How's is his mobility?. hope he managed to see the physio and was able to discuss exercises.
Best wishes
Mary
wikey

staying positive and active

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 09:23:47 AM »

what age is he? what operation has he had? and what is total treatment regime he has had?

i have been on low fibre diet twice, once before radio chemo treatment as i was concerned i was beginning to get a blockage, and i went back to normal diet once i realised the treatment was really working and  bowel movements were getting easier,

and then immediately after  major bowel operation for two weeks just getting my  system working again.

so it depends  on the circumstances
perhaps you have explained all this elsewhere and  i have not noticed it

best wishes
mikey

life is what happens to you while you are planning something else.
subtitlesonly

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 05:06:53 PM »

Hi Sam

good news on your Dad  coming home. You're right about the low residue diet, it's not particulalry healthy. There are plenty of hi calorie drinks available from your GP, I take fresubin as a top up to get me stronger, but there are plent yof other types around. Does your Dad have a stoma? Sorry, haven't read the toher threads. A llow residue diet is quite normal until the stoma and remaining bowel settles down, I wouldn't imagine you would need to stay on this for any more than a couple of weeks. If on the othe rhand your Dads bowel was rejoined, the low residue diet would be to give the bowel chance of recovery. In which case I would discuss it with surgeon or colorectal nurse.

Hope everything goes OK

If music be the food of love, then I'm clinically obese

I blog about my life with cancer   http://reflectionsonawastedlife.wordpress.com/
Sam

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 02:26:13 PM »

Hi all, just a quick update on my dad, he is home, he got a water infection so is on antibiotics for a few days now, he has had half his staples out, the rest today or monday, but best of all, the hospital phoned and it was a Dukes A tumour, so no chemo / radio therapy. No spread whatsoever. Can't begin to say how relieved we all are, still slightly unreal! So thankful that they got it early. Many thanks for all your support, this site and the people that contribute to it are amazing.
wikey

staying positive and active

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 02:28:51 PM »

hi there, just to say well done  and how pleasing that it has been caught early,

mine was quite advanced when detected, makes such a huge difference to  your life.

best wishes

Mikey

life is what happens to you while you are planning something else.
Holly

Nurse Advisor

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 02:56:47 PM »

Hi Sam.

Just seen this post.....Really glad to hear your dad's news.

Here is some more information on low fibre/low residue diets, if you still need it.

http://www.beatingbowelcancer.org/sites/default/files/images/EatingWellV5.0FinalLR.pdf

It's a good idea to stay on this type of diet for a limited period, around 6 weeks and then gradually your dad can begin to add in the restricted foods, such as fruit and more fibre.

I do hope it is useful and please don't hesitate to call the nurses with any further questions you may have.

Kind regards,
Holly

« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 02:58:47 PM by Holly » Logged

Holly Rolfe
Nurse Advisor
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: