Share |
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 266
  Print  
Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 216807 times)
TFW

« Reply #315 on: May 14, 2012, 09:20:54 AM »

Hi Hazel, I have had the 5fu pump twice now and similar to Alison, did not have much side effects or nothing more than you would expect from chemo ie tiredness etc. I agree with Alison that wearing it for 2 days was a bit awkward although I did manage to find different ways of 'wearing' it whereby I bought my own pouch, a Nike one (although other brands are available!!) which I think joggers wear. It looked like a mini bum bag. I used to sometimes wear the pouch across my body (sort of same way as a seat belt) and then kind of try to tuck the long cord away. This may sound a bit long winded but it worked for me and I hardly got any odd looks. Unfortunately I was one who often had to set aside a day when the District nurses turned up to free me from my pump  Embarrassed Very frustrating! Showering was also a bit of a challenge and balancing act with the pump, especially after having cling filmed and sellotaped up my arm to cover my picc line beforehand! I did try to buy one of those plastic sleeves that you can get to cover your picc line for showering but couldn't find the right one. Excellent news that the Avastin is working, hope it continues to do its job! I am due to start my next lot of chemo tomorrow, Calpox. First time having capecitabine tablets, little bit nervous but I'm sure it will be ok. Take care 
alisonhelen
Volunteer Moderator

It's good to be alive!

« Reply #316 on: May 14, 2012, 10:22:29 AM »

Oh Yes TFW! I forgot about the showering bit! I'm NOT allowed to shower while wearing the pump and yes, it is bloody awkward showering with the PICC line, I do have a plastic arm sleeve, but it is far from satisfactory and am thinking of investing in a vacuum pumped one, but they are quite expensive! I tend to wear my pump clipped to my jeans, personally I don't give a tinkers damn what people think of me wearing it, but I know some people are quite sensitive about it. I cant wear the belt as being 'rather large' it doesn't fit round my waist and I find it too awkward wearing it seatbelt style!

Alison

Come with me on a journey, no map, destination unknown and I'll travel your path with you. We'll hold each other up when the road gets steep, we'll laugh and cry along the way, because I feel your pain and you feel mine.
Feel free to read my blog:-'Why not me?' http://alisonhelen.blogspot.co.uk/
Hazel
Volunteer Moderator

Everything is better in Purple!!

« Reply #317 on: May 14, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »

I haven't showered since having the picc........i have a bath! Smiley and keep my arm out of the water that works best for me...capecitabine has been fine for me so far and doesn't make me feel ill but i do suffer with the dryness TFW so just make sure you keep moisturising you likely won't be on the same amount as me it is only since i have had more that it is affecting me and also i had it all through dec to june last year then again for a month with radio and now again since feb so i guess there must be a fair build up of it. In terms of how invasive it is .....it isn't really just having to have it 12 hours apart each day and having something to eat with it for 2 weeks but compared to a pump i don't know two days rather than two weeks seems easier. I will talk to onco next time i see them about it. Thanks for the responses.

Call the nurses on 08450 719 301
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have!
Blogging at http://elkamouri.blogspot.co.uk/
Below is a bit about me and bowel cancer
http://www.beatingbowelcancer.org/forum/index.php/topic,1677.0.html
nicolaann

« Reply #318 on: May 14, 2012, 12:43:31 PM »

My first 6 lots of chemo were with the pump, the side effects were with me all the way I was not an easy patient and sickness etc and I found the pump ok, just waiting for district nurses etc but got use to it, then I had problems with my pic line and I changed to Capecitabine, I actually found this easier less tired and life felt more normal, I could not sleep very well with the pump as I am so restless and was frightened I would pull it out.  I think it is 50/50 on this one!

Nicola
KarenB

« Reply #319 on: May 14, 2012, 04:12:17 PM »

Hi, I've had some new clothes and shoes delivered today. Finally I have something that fits. I was getting very worried that my jeans, knickers and all were going to drop around my ankles at any minute. Not a good look I can assure you. I was definitely feeling like a teenager who needs a belt...you know one of those you walk behind and with your mothers voice hear yourself saying " will you pull your trousers up". I also got some really funky desert boots from Clarks that I can wear in the summer to keep my Oxy affected feet warm but without having to be in sheepskin in July.
Making mini lemon curd and jam tarts this afternoon so maybe my new jeans won't fit for that long! Looking forward to them with a nice cup of green tea.
Karen
Hazel
Volunteer Moderator

« Reply #320 on: May 14, 2012, 06:40:18 PM »

Sounds lovely Karen i need to get back and baking i have had a weekend of catching up with laundry and cleaning and tidying and feel much better for it. Still a bit to do but feel much more inclined. I have been looking for footwear to help the feet too, need new sheepskin and have seen a lovely pair of boots on the celtic sheepskin website, a small fortune but i think necessary. I used to love wearing flipflops all summer but have found that the caepcitabine and persistent neuropathy have meant that this is no longer an option, so need to buy more enclosed summer wear as you have done.
I though am at the other end of the scale re diet, i have no problem eating at mo and have to lose at least 3 stone to be back at a weight i feel happy with  Sad

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have!
alisonhelen
Volunteer Moderator

It's good to be alive!

« Reply #321 on: May 14, 2012, 08:28:57 PM »

I found my fit flops ideal when I was on oxy as they are very spongy and seemed to cushion my feet, but I suppose everyone is different.

Hazel, I to must loose weight and have pledged to loose 60lbs for my 60th next January, about 35 weeks time, I know it's a tall order with chemo etc, but there always seems to be a reason to put it off, so am going to do my best! Lost 4.5lbs last week and although I've not had such a good week this week am still hoping for a loss. I've been going to a slimming club since before my diagnosis and they have always been a huge support for me throughout and are continuing to egg me on to succeed this time!

Today I had lunch with an old group of friends, a nice long lazy lunch, gossiping and moaning about the men in our lives!

Daughter back from music weekend in Minehead, she obviously didn't sleep all weekend as she was in bed when I got home, got up for tea ("Mum.....I'm starving!!!) and was back in bed 10 minutes later! She's moving out to her own place soon, God, how I will miss her!!  Sad Cry Sad

I wonder what tomorrow will bring!?

Alison

Come with me on a journey, no map, destination unknown and I'll travel your path with you. We'll hold each other up when the road gets steep, we'll laugh and cry along the way, because I feel your pain and you feel mine.
rose57

« Reply #322 on: May 14, 2012, 08:32:54 PM »

Im now sitting up in bed with my lovely pump doing its thing.

Was my first chemo session since my month break, and back to poxy foxy  Undecided

So I arrive and get seated in the recliner and a nurse comes bouncing along with my foot wide file.  She flicks through the notes, puts on my arm band, bearing name and date of birth, just in case the chemo gets too much and I forget who I am !!

She then sits down on the chair beside me and asks seriously, 'So Rosemary, what are you allegic to?'  Undecided Undecided Undecided  .... um,,, cancer?  or do I need to ask the audience  Roll Eyes.....

Anyway its because the arm band was red and Im allergic to aspirin but, hello Huh  what about looking at my foot wide file?!

She then proceeds to set me up for my first oxy infusion, so I ask  her where my pre-meds are?  she asked me 'what premeds?'  yes the day didnt start well !!

I had to refer her back to when I went into shock on oxy and had to have loads of stuff before the infusion and that the infusion was slowed down to 4 hours.

Off she went to talk to my Onc, who confirms that it would be a good idea - I know it was early in the day but I wasnt bursting with confidence by this stage. Huh

Anyway after all the premeds I had the Oxy and managed to sleep through most of it, must have  been one of the premeds.

Already have sensitive hands and feet but I take that as a good sign, at least it is working !!!

I now have my lovely pump in the sexy bum bag and watching the sun go down through my bed room window xxx

Cancer hates smiles  Smiley
Hazel
Volunteer Moderator

« Reply #323 on: May 14, 2012, 10:54:46 PM »

Alison it is only since i had the last two oxy's that i can't wear flip flops really and with the capecitabine last year my feet cracked so badly i couldn't walk for two days keeping them covered whilst on the tabs seems to help much more, but the oxy has stepped the neuropathy to the point i can't stand on cold floors or bear the cold as i could before i had it again.
Rose glad to hear you are sitting watching the sun we never had any today. Bit of a worry with the nurses, i am lucky two of the nurses i know since i had my first session in 2007 and it's like meeting up with old friends, they know me well enough, i do remind them though that i don't take steroids just to be sure.
Ah that old tingly feeling which i n my case is the gift that keeps on giving.....here's to chemo and keeping us going!!

alisonhelen
Volunteer Moderator

It's good to be alive!

« Reply #324 on: May 14, 2012, 11:18:56 PM »

Hazel, I wear FIT flops, they're quite different to fit flops, look a bit ugly but have a very thick sole and the bands go much lower down your foot giving more support. I can't wear flip flops either, always found them uncomfortable, but a friend persuaded me to try them and haven't looked back.. They are not cheap tho' !

suze
Volunteer Moderator

Take Heart.

« Reply #325 on: May 16, 2012, 09:06:29 AM »

Helloooooo -- back from Scotland on the Sleeper -- though I didn't actually sleep very well.  Have had a lovely time with my mate Andy, despite getting very very very wet on Sunday (They had ten cms of rain in a single day  ... usually thatis a month's rainfall! )

I am also looking to get back on the diet treadmill in terms of losing the last two stone I want to lose ... I want to lose a stone and a half before we go to France inthe summer, which is only ten weeks away ... cos my wife has set me a new mountain climbing cahllenge  Shocked

Sept 2006 Dx. Chemo-rad. to down-size. Jan '07, surgery and ileostomy. March '07-Oct07, 12 cycles of chemo. Jun 08, Ileo reversed.  Oct 09, fresh mets: bowel and lungs. 2nd bowel op. Dec 09-May10, more chemo. 18 months off! Dec 2011, lung mets grew - Jan 2012, lung surgery.
Dec '13 hernia repair
KarenB

« Reply #326 on: May 16, 2012, 12:55:14 PM »

Hi,

I've had a very lazy, lovely morning. My tummy was playing up yesterday and had me worried. For the first time I must have nicked my stoma and caused it to bleed. Never happened before , I  know that they can bleed a lot but until I've seen things for myself I'm never very good at believing something. So spent yesterday with a friend having a lovely Italian lunch and then worrying that everything was ok and not a sign of the cancer coming back in my bowel. So I was sore and uncomfortable all evening and then bingo just as I go to sleep my bowel wakes up.As a result feeling a bit fragile this morning so had a lie in after my husband had gone to work and read my book, had a little snooze and then faced my stoma. Pleased to say no blood and back to normal.
This afternoon I'm meeting another friend for coffee in the forest cafe and a little walk afterward. When I was working I never seemed to have, or make, the time for my friends and for myself. That has been one of the biggest positive learnings from cancer is how important these people are to me now. Whatever the future brings I won't ever forget that one....lots of other stuff I've learnt that I would gladly forget...but not that.

Good luck with the diets Suze and Alison. And I'm with you on the Celtic sheepskin boots Hazel. I've always wanted one of their beautiful coats but can't afford one. Mind you being only 5 ft tall there is a distinct possibility that I would look like a little, shaggy Shetland pony if I wore a sheepskin coat and Ugg boots.

Karen
Hazel
Volunteer Moderator

« Reply #327 on: May 16, 2012, 01:36:06 PM »

I shall try and join the diet brigade too, though leaving it late for my hols, mind you i must have lost loads yesterday! We are at opposite ends of the scale Karen i am 5 ft 10 and a bit.....not! 5 11 Shocked)

annaspanna

« Reply #328 on: May 16, 2012, 01:41:37 PM »

2 weeks post-op today and I've officially got cabin fever! It's a bit ridiculous really as I've been going out for short walks every day and went out for lunch with a friend yesterday (and to shops with mum the day before), so I'm not actually confined much at all, but just knowing I can't drive makes me feel so trapped! Apart from a bit of pain/discomfort around the biggest wound, I feel back to normal - I'm eating everything again and haven't had any problems. It all feels a bit surreal. I've got no idea when I'll get back to Uni - I imagine I'll feel fine in another week in terms of the healing from surgery, but I know it will take a lot longer to get my iron/haemoglobin back up and that it's probably not wise to push it.

Still needing big sleeps during the day but I'm thinking tomorrow I'll get in to the kitchen between naps - we are heading into winter so it's perfect soup weather and the kids could go with some more exciting options for school lunches as its been pretty boring the last couple of months!

Apart from that I'm reading Janet Evanovich and watching Offspring (an Aussie show, not sure if it's made it overseas).

Louise

« Reply #329 on: May 16, 2012, 01:55:08 PM »

I feel exactly the same Anna, I'm 16days post op, and hate not being able to drive even tho I don't have the inclination or energy to drive anywhere :-)

I'm napping in the afternoon, sometimes in the mornings too . I'm reading a book called The Cloudspotters Guide, it's a bit geeky but very me. I'm also watching a series called Grimm and another called Once Upon a Time, they're like dark modern day faerytales.. Nothing too stretching in case I doze off :-)

I'm also taking iron supplements .. I imagine/hope sleep needs will reduce as iron levels pick up :-)
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 266
  Print  

Jump to: