Share |
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 265
  Print  
Author Topic: What did you do today?  (Read 214788 times)
chools
Volunteer Moderator

« on: March 19, 2012, 09:17:22 PM »

I'm not sure what other folk are like, but I still have some days when I feel completely 'whacked' from the moment I get up, and others where I manage to achieve quite a lot (by my standards). I try and do something everyday though even if it's just a walk.

Today wasn't a great day in that I felt really tired when I got up and spent the early part of the morning surfing, but then went on to bake some oatcakes, and started gardening before the rain drove me back inside - divided up the pots of mint we have with the idea of making a lot more fresh tea this summer.
Managed to make the tea and light the fire in time for my wife coming in, but I'm now exhausted and am slumped in a chair with my last cup of herb tea before bed

What did you manage to do today?

Illness is neither an indulgence for which people have to pay, nor an offence for which they should be penalised, but a misfortune, the cost of which should be shared by the community
Hazel
Volunteer Moderator

Everything is better in Purple!!

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 10:33:22 PM »

Less! its taken me all weekend and end of last week to crawl through the chemo, however i am presently in the process of decluttering old cd's and selling them for pennies via the net....... i would however prefer to have some time outside but it is too cold for the fingers just now!.....But! in my defense the seeds of a road trip have been sown today, i will be getting my first brand new car!! so have decided when i retire soon and have no ties about how long i can take off, i will in July take the youngest two boys on a road trip and travel around the UK stopping off where i know people... luckily this affords a great route from northumberland via areas of interest too, the lakes, North yorks, derbyshire, Alton Towers for the boys, gloucestershire, then along to cornwall where my 'brother' has a farm....and lots of other places to add in and plan for. So that's!! what i have done today Smiley Good Question tooo
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 10:34:55 PM by Hazel » Logged

Call the nurses on 08450 719 301
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have!
Blogging at http://elkamouri.blogspot.co.uk/
Below is a bit about me and bowel cancer
http://www.beatingbowelcancer.org/forum/index.php/topic,1677.0.html
suze
Volunteer Moderator

Take Heart.

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 10:54:19 PM »

Great thread idea --

yes my energy levels swing a lot and if I am busy one day I am ususally wrecked the next ..

I got some pansies but didn't fine the energy to plant them .. then  I did a decent length bike ride: went to meet my wife after work and we cycled home a circuitous way .. nice, bit of sunshine to encourage being outdoors

and cos we had excess vindaloo left over from yesterday, no cooking required when we got home ...  Cheesy

Sept 2006 Dx. Chemo-rad. to down-size. Jan '07, surgery and ileostomy. March '07-Oct07, 12 cycles of chemo. Jun 08, Ileo reversed.  Oct 09, fresh mets: bowel and lungs. 2nd bowel op. Dec 09-May10, more chemo. 18 months off! Dec 2011, lung mets grew - Jan 2012, lung surgery.
Dec '13 hernia repair
Mary HB
Volunteer Moderator

Live Long and Prosper

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 11:03:28 PM »

As for me, well, I've just been pottering around today - little odd jobs in the house and  the garden as it was sunny today, but cold; my fingers and feet  noticeably worse when it's cold !  Then, made myself walk down to the post box (trying to be active! )and looked at the little river that runs through our village - saw a heron and possibly even a kingfisher but it was too quick to be sure - I just feel  it was so beautiful  to see  such wildlife Smiley
Chools, I hope tomorrow is a better day for you :-)
Hazel, please call in if you're passing this way down to Cornwall in the future, I live in East Devon near the A30 before you reach Exeter.

Mary
Hazel
Volunteer Moderator

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 11:31:14 PM »

Oh i certinaly will Mary, i know the A30 well have had to drive a few times down there through camelford on way to a seaside town that's name escapes me at the moment!! ...Wadebridge!! If i am in Cornwall i will stay a while at the farm near Launceston, it's not my bro but he is an only child too and we have known each other since we were 17 and 19 so we have chosen to be siblings Smiley
Alison i know has been hanging around the docks today Smiley got to pay for that new I pad somehow !

And this thread has encouraged me to brave the chill and head out tomorrow morning!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have!
suze
Volunteer Moderator

Take Heart.

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 09:58:06 AM »

Alison i know has been hanging around the docks today Smiley got to pay for that new I pad somehow !

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

you better run and duck for cover, missis!  Cheesy

Sept 2006 Dx. Chemo-rad. to down-size. Jan '07, surgery and ileostomy. March '07-Oct07, 12 cycles of chemo. Jun 08, Ileo reversed.  Oct 09, fresh mets: bowel and lungs. 2nd bowel op. Dec 09-May10, more chemo. 18 months off! Dec 2011, lung mets grew - Jan 2012, lung surgery.
Dec '13 hernia repair
Hazel
Volunteer Moderator

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 01:30:14 PM »

Had my head down all day!!!!!

KarenB

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 04:38:19 PM »

It is good to know that others also have whacked out days. I can get so annoyed with myself when all I've done all day is read and sit on the sofa. Trying to make an effort this week and get out into the fresh air as I restart my chemo next week after a longer than expected break. My neighbour has asked me to look after his dog on Sunday and I'm so excited, I feel like little kid. I really, really want it to be one of 'the good days'. Karen

chools
Volunteer Moderator

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 05:52:57 PM »

This thread has made me feel so happy knowing I'm not the only one who suffers from the tiredness, although in truth I wish none of us did!
I live next to the sea in the Highlands of Scotland so over the years have built up a good wardrobe that allows me to go out in just about any weather and stay warm and dry, a combination of hats, coats, gloves, trousers and footwear. However, I still suffer from cold feet but this is when I'm sat in the house not doing anything and I guess is down to circulation or lack of it
Today started at 5:00am, my bladder. I have an evening drinks watershed of 9:00pm (this is peppermint tea BTW) but still find that my bladder sometimes doesn't last the night. I did read that radiotherapy can make your bladder less elastic and therefore you have the need to wee more, who knows
There was a strong south westerly wind today but managed a couple of garden chores this morning. After lunch went for a walk along one of the local rivers. The vegetation still looks pretty dead post winter, especially as we were walking in a glen with steep cliffs that didn't allow for much sunlight, however when we did get the sun it felt nice and warm.
Photography was something I took up seriously just after my first op. It seemed to give my walks a sense of purpose, or maybe it was just an incentive to get me out of the front door, whatever it's worked
Here's a photo (see below) from today's jaunt. I'm tired now, had hoped to do more but happily relaxed in front of the fire and OH is cooking the tea

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chools/7000514145/

« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 05:54:34 PM by chools » Logged

Illness is neither an indulgence for which people have to pay, nor an offence for which they should be penalised, but a misfortune, the cost of which should be shared by the community
emski68

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 06:07:40 PM »

Today I picked up my wig..the treatment Im starting on Monday means bye bye to what Ive got left after my radical hair cut .. im not actually going to wear it till the wedding on the 7th but I had it all fitted and the fringe cut in.. its a black graduated bob which is exactly waht I had pre illness.. Im so happy that I will look like me again.. I then had an interview with local paper.. thats on a different thread.. it was at the wedding venue so sorted a couple of things out there then home.. feeling exhausted now.. but bath and pjs soon

Ive cleared tomorrow of plans.. it will be a sofa and blanky day xxx
suze
Volunteer Moderator

Take Heart.

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 09:38:31 PM »

Today ... I have done a long bike ride out as far as West Kirby ... I was really struggling on the way back, but feel the tiredness I get after exercise is so much nicer than the general malaise type of tiredness I get other times .. feel really pleased with it today ...

Great to hear about your wedding plans, emski

Dec '13 hernia repair
chools
Volunteer Moderator

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 06:58:57 PM »

I envy your bike ride Suze, I bought a big padded saddle for my bike but still find it sore to use

Not is a good place today. Woke myself up at 2:00am farting and got up to the loo. Went into our back bedroom so not to disturb my wife but didn't get to sleep and went to the loo again at 5:00pm. I meant to take some Loperamide but was so tired I found myself cleaning my teeth, not sure as to what I was thinking. A work day (I work mainly from home part time) so got up when I heard the alarm, but the bowels were at it from the moment I got up and despite more Loperamide and some codeine is was almost as though I'd taken the dreaded picolax. I've no idea as to what caused it, I'm careful with what food I eat and hadn't eaten anything unusual. I was so tired by lunchtime that I went back to bed for an hour as I really couldn't keep my eyes open, years since I've slept during the day as I always feel rubbish when I wake up. Had a very light cautious tea this evening, here's hoping the bowels behave themselves and I get to have a good nights sleep

I'm sure I'll feel OK tomorrow, just grateful I didn't have to be anywhere today as I really didn't want to leave the house

suze
Volunteer Moderator

Take Heart.

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 07:31:04 PM »

Sound grim Chools.

I have been very quiet today. Did a yoga class. Saw a mate for coffee. Now at zoo waiting for talk about orang utangs. Will eat later.  Cannot eat then sit in a talk Smiley
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 07:35:39 PM by suze » Logged

Dec '13 hernia repair
suze
Volunteer Moderator

Take Heart.

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 07:32:13 PM »

Had my head down all day!!!!!

She must have missed it!  Lucky for you. Smiley

Dec '13 hernia repair
Hazel
Volunteer Moderator

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 11:18:01 PM »

I think so ........ i feel i ought to explain, on that particular day i know that Alison was busy at Chatham Dockyard rasining awareness re Bowel Cancer, she also posted that she was in reciept of her new...but second hand I PAD it was only a questino of putting 2 and 2 together to make 5!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 265
  Print  

Jump to: