Share |
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
  Print  
Author Topic: Third Cycle  (Read 18578 times)
Vivienne

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 08:55:16 AM »

That was odd, your last post wasn't flagged up Alison, thank you for the reply.

Well the scan didn't go exactly to plan on Monday. I have contrast & I thought how well the radiography nurse did at getting the needle in, hardly felt it. Scan starts then she says, starting contrast now & I nearly lept off the bed with the pain in my arm. She comes back out checks the needle & says, oh it's a small vein, I'll slow it down.
The rest of the scan goes well but when I go to get dressed the pad over the injection site is saturated with blood. A bit shaky, I drive home & spend the rest of the day on the couch.
Then at 5.30am I wake with a pain in my back, under my left shoulder blade. I lay there wondering if this could be a heart attack & thinking more likely wind so I sit up, burp a little & the pain eases so I lay back down, only for the pain to come back. I try to meditate but each time I take a deep breath it hurts.
Anyway laying on my back I manage to drift in & out of sleep until about 8am. At 8.30 I call my surgery & when I eventually get through at 8.42 I'm given an appointment for  8.50!
I made it 7mins late  & my lovely GP checks me over & we decide that when I jerked up on the scanner bed I pulled a muscle & that is what is giving me grief. 
My back still hurts a little & I couldn't sleep on my left side as I usually do but apart from that I'm fine.
I've had loads of scans, all with contrast & never had a reaction like that before  so I hope this is a one off.
I've just spoken to my lovely colorectal nurse & she doesn't have the scan results on her screen yet so I'll email the Sec & ask her to email them to me.  I want to read & get my head around them before I see the Onco.

Have a good day everyone & Healing Thoughts for All
Viv

The Pessimist may be proved right in the end but the Optimist has the better journey.
alisonhelen
Volunteer Moderator

It's good to be alive!

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 07:30:18 PM »

Oh Vivienne, that's horrible getting a reaction like that, I bet it's shaken your confidence. I know it would mine! Hope by the weekend your shoulder/back is a little easier, I know you're supposed tp relax when you do something like that, but it's easier said than done!

Was it a CT scan or MRI? The MRI's I find really hurt my shoulder as I have to lie with my arms above my head for 45 mins and I have slight arthritis in my shoulder

Tiger balm is also good for pulled muscles, but you;d probably need someone to rub it in?

Best wishes, Alison

Come with me on a journey, no map, destination unknown and I'll travel your path with you. We'll hold each other up when the road gets steep, we'll laugh and cry along the way, because I feel your pain and you feel mine.
Feel free to read my blog:-'Why not me?' http://alisonhelen.blogspot.co.uk/
Vivienne

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 11:50:53 PM »

Hi Alison,
It was a CT scan so thankfully not long but I think jerking up with my arms above my head is how I pulled the muscle. I'm sure it will make me more nervous next time I have a scan.
I don't like seeing the needle go in but I think I'll be issuing orders about using a decent sized vein & watching what she is doing next time.  Wink
She actually must be quite good at inserting needles to have got it into a tiny vein without hurting me, which would be fine for taking blood but not for putting contrast in. Roll Eyes
I can't reach to rub anything in but I do have an infra red massager.  Thankfully it is a lot better today so obviously I didn't do too much harm.

Healing Thoughts for All

The Pessimist may be proved right in the end but the Optimist has the better journey.
Vivienne

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 08:14:04 AM »

I haven't got my copy of the scan results yet but my colorectal nurse checked the screen on Friday & apparently the lesion in both my lungs & my liver are less bulky & showing signs of a mild response to the chemo!
HopefullyI'll get my copy tomorrow & then will be able to see what the Onco says on Wednesday.

alisonhelen
Volunteer Moderator

It's good to be alive!

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 08:41:47 AM »

Excellent news Vivienne! What a great stater to your weekend! Here's hoping the rest of the chemo does it's job and saps the tumours completely! Well done you!

Looking forward to hearing your news from your oncologist! Now I know why we have such a lovely sunny weekend!

Alison x

Come with me on a journey, no map, destination unknown and I'll travel your path with you. We'll hold each other up when the road gets steep, we'll laugh and cry along the way, because I feel your pain and you feel mine.
Hazel
Volunteer Moderator

Everything is better in Purple!!

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 07:52:53 PM »

That's great news Vivienne, just shows you how individual responses to treatment are, irene didn't work so well for me Oxaly however i hope gave me three extra years and now having it again.
Good luck!

Call the nurses on 08450 719 301
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have!
Blogging at http://elkamouri.blogspot.co.uk/
Below is a bit about me and bowel cancer
http://www.beatingbowelcancer.org/forum/index.php/topic,1677.0.html
Vivienne

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 08:41:19 AM »

Hello People,
I had to give the Sec a nudge for my copy of the scan result but I got it on Tuesday & although the radiologist thought the change was not significant the lesions on my liver had gone from 21mm to 19mm & 14mm to 12mm & the lung lesions were less bulky.
I saw my lovely Onco Emma yesterday & to my surprise, after the summing up of the radiologist she is as happy with the mild response to the chemo as I am & we are carrying on with just Irene for the next 3 sessions.
I am so relieved as the side effects I'm getting are so mild. My daughter was nagging me at the w/end that she thinks my breathlessness is my fault for not exercising & she is probably right!
I meet up with Irene again tomorrow but unfortunately a lovely lady (Mandy)I met a couple of sessions ago won't be with me this time. I saw her yesterday & she has been so ill that they are postponing treatment & doing some tests to find out why. She has had a really tough time & kept smiling throughout but yesterday it was quite upsetting to see her so distressed.
How do you cope when friends made on the journey don't do so well or don't make it?

suze
Volunteer Moderator

Take Heart.

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 08:57:54 AM »

Good to hear your news viv, bravo.

I have been on this journey for 5 years now, long enough to have lost several fellow travellers whom I knew quite well, mostly met on-line but also a couple from hospital who were close to me. 

I do not know how I cope with it, and sometimes it makes me think it is stupid to come in here and make more friends in the same boat, to be brutally honest ... but that is life, life and death .... inevitable, and I would not choose to not have had the sharing with these friends, however sad it is to be be losing friends and to see how bad this can get ... 

Cry

Sept 2006 Dx. Chemo-rad. to down-size. Jan '07, surgery and ileostomy. March '07-Oct07, 12 cycles of chemo. Jun 08, Ileo reversed.  Oct 09, fresh mets: bowel and lungs. 2nd bowel op. Dec 09-May10, more chemo. 18 months off! Dec 2011, lung mets grew - Jan 2012, lung surgery.
Dec '13 hernia repair
Vivienne

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2012, 02:02:13 PM »

Thanks for the reply Suze, it'll be 4yrs next month since my first diagnosis but I was on Capecitabine before & after my surgery so went through with hardly any contact with other people.
This time around is the first time I have met this problem & it's scaring me, I almost feel that I want to withdraw into my shell again. 
Problem with that is, being a Healer it is definitely not what I'm suposed to do, so I guess I'll just have to send out my thoughts & be strong if the worst happens.

Healing Thoughts for All

alisonhelen
Volunteer Moderator

It's good to be alive!

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2012, 07:43:33 PM »

It is horrible hearing about people with the same disease as you dying, it brings it home far too near the knuckle. What I almost find harder though, is reading their blogs and updates of their decline, pain, misery and heartbroken renditions of leaving family and friends. Perhaps I shouldn't read these blogs, but I feel I owe it to these people to read what they need to get off their chests. One of the reasons I write a blog is to get things off my chest, once written somehow the pain of our inner thoughts lessen considerably and give a sort of release, so I continue to read others blogs and perhaps when tears come for the author, some of my own pent up emotions are released too. It also helps to realise that with their dying, their suffering has gone and cancer for them is over. Unfortunately for their close family and friends another chapter of suffering starts.

It makes me more determined than ever that awareness and education of symptoms and how to keep your body cancer free and healthy is the only way forward. Beating Bowel Cancer are THE experts in this and we can help by being their ambassadors and letting our friends demise be not in vain, but to inspire us to carry on their messages.

Alison

Hazel
Volunteer Moderator

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2012, 11:24:47 PM »

Your experience with Irene is so similar to mine Vivienne, i made a friend of someone with bowel cancer the first day i had Irinotecan...Lesma we ended up having it the same time each session but half way through she was finding it so difficult and stopped having it. I then saw her at appointments and we cought up. I went in one day and the bowel nurse told me that she was on the ward and wasn't well at all. I went to see her and met her two daughters in their 20's one was having her baby induced two weeks early so that he could meet grandma. I sat on my own with her for a little and she told me how she was ready to go, i ended up crying it was strange to be where i had been again with mum and dad and i remembered how hard that is, for a brief moment i wasn't the one with cancer if you see what i mean?
Well as i left a stream of friends and family arrived so many that i didn't find a time to see her again outside of work. After a month or so i found her number and called but got no reply, i assumed that the worst had happened. When i started chemo again i asked about her assuming bad news...but no! she is doing fine still around and now i have lost her number but have sent a message through the nurse.
Carole or Dizzy as she was known here died last night i found out on Facebook, such a strong woman who fought very hard to stay with her family......i was reading her blog and following her journey...it's tough to hear this news but as Alison says you read a blog to share experiance and lend support, the mere fact that we are engaging with people fighting cancer will open us up to these hurts and inevitably we will look to ourselves and what will happen with us. But not to engage and get involved would mean not meeting people that you can empathise with and understand you and i both understand how Irinotecan feels and we share that because of getting involved and one of the prices we pay is losing people but then we have the priviledge of getting to know them too one sometimes doesn't come without the other.........doesn't answer your question i guess i have rambled.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have!
Vivienne

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2012, 11:32:07 AM »

I mentioned to my daughter at the w/end how I was feeling about getting to know others with this bloody disease & the following is the email she sent to me.  Knowing my daughter really feels the same as I do is fantastic & this email really boosted my faith in what I know in my heart to be true.

First of all, no-one and no amount of healing can prevent a person from dying.  The time of our death is part of our predetermined road map and cannot be changed.  However, we all have free will and, hence, near death experiences when people do extremely stupid things and almost kill themselves.  The only time changes may be considered is when a person commits suicide and are deemed unfit to continue.  However, in that instance they will be treated, made stronger and sent back to start again!  The whole point of healing is to make the transition process as easy and pain-free as possible, for both the patient and their friends and relatives.  The process of dying is the same as being born, only in the opposite direction.  The people that help others through their death are learning to move to the next level where they can help people be born into the physical world and guide them through ‘life’.  It must be much more difficult to send people off to be born, because you know the difficulties and challenges they are going to be faced with.  When a person dies they do not have a difficult road lying ahead of them, their trials have ended for now and they, for want of a better phrase, take a ‘gap year’ whilst they decide what to do next.  It’s not called the University of Life for nothing!

I hope this will help others
xxx

Hazel
Volunteer Moderator

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2012, 12:10:45 PM »

Vivienne so glad that you posted this, it comes from a perspective that i had never looked at before. The nearest when mum died and i truely felt priviledged to be with her when she passed after 84 years on the planet, just me and her. Your daughter must make you very proud!

Vivienne

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2012, 01:15:23 PM »

I am proud of her Hazel, she has been a very great suport for me. I always knew that she was on the fringes of believing the same as me but this was a case of Spirit getting hold of her & giving her the right words to give me a kick up the bum. She said it was running around her head & it didn't go until she sent the email & now she can't remember exactly what she wrote.
I am glad it has been of help, as I've said before I'm not sure what I should post on here as I know my lifestyle & beliefs are considered controversial.
xx

Hazel
Volunteer Moderator

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2012, 02:22:30 PM »

Diversity is what makes the world go round and should anyone not have the same beliefs on here we all seem at least to respect each others,  it was very well said and really food for thought i think.
How is the chemo going vivienne?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
  Print  

Jump to: