Share |
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17
  Print  
Author Topic: Third Cycle  (Read 18589 times)
Vivienne

« on: February 24, 2012, 08:07:54 AM »

2pm this afternoon I go for my third poisoning by 'Evil Irene' (Irinotecan). Up to now she has been very gentle on me so hopefully that will continue, I've even kept my eyebrows & lashes so far. lol

I seem to remember someone else was going today also, all the best to whoever it was & Healing Thoughts for all.x

The Pessimist may be proved right in the end but the Optimist has the better journey.
subtitlesonly

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 11:15:34 AM »

thinking of you Vivienne x

If music be the food of love, then I'm clinically obese

I blog about my life with cancer   http://reflectionsonawastedlife.wordpress.com/
Hazel
Volunteer Moderator

Everything is better in Purple!!

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 01:09:44 PM »

I hit my first cycle of Oxy Avastin and cape yesterday......i held onto my eyebrows and eyelashes for a good while when on Irinotecan , they did go in the end but returned very quickly as it was so near the end of treatment that i lost them. Kohl is a good cover up for the eyes, i use it all the time anyway but it made me feel less washed out. I wasn't that bothered about the eyebrows, mind you you can get new ones tattooed on if it does, my friend has it and it is very realistic.
Hope it went ok and you're not feeling too rough.

Call the nurses on 08450 719 301
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have!
Blogging at http://elkamouri.blogspot.co.uk/
Below is a bit about me and bowel cancer
http://www.beatingbowelcancer.org/forum/index.php/topic,1677.0.html
alisonhelen
Volunteer Moderator

It's good to be alive!

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 03:00:18 PM »

All this talk of losing hair is making me glad that my chemo is being delayed at the moment. It looks as if I won't be starting before March and may have to have a small op beforehand anyway, which will probably delay it even further. So hopefully the warmer weather will be here before my locks hit the floor!

It doesn't bother me losing my hair, but it obviously bothers my oncologist as with every regime he always tells me the likelyhood of losing hair before any other side effects! I tell him that's the least of my worries as it doesnt hurt! I'd much rather that, after all I'd have the option of wearing a wig, could go any colour, length or texture I choose, could surprise my friends or even go incognito if I wished, than vomitting frequently, having peripheral neuropathy and feel like I'm handling crushed glass and nettles, numb feet and increased restless leg syndrome, suffer such dry skin that they permanently itch or be so tired that just getting up to have breakfast, if you can stomach it with the nausea, is all you manage that day!

Anyway, good luck Vivienne and Hazel, you'll reach the finishing line before me and will be able hopefully to enjoy the summer when it finally comes!

Best wishes, Alison

Come with me on a journey, no map, destination unknown and I'll travel your path with you. We'll hold each other up when the road gets steep, we'll laugh and cry along the way, because I feel your pain and you feel mine.
Feel free to read my blog:-'Why not me?' http://alisonhelen.blogspot.co.uk/
Vivienne

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 09:39:01 PM »

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.
I did think it was you Hazel but didn't want to make an idiot of myself if I was wrong, hope it went well for you.
Hmm, my Onco said she thought I would keep the brows now & you tell me she could be wrong. Sad Grin

Didn't bother me losing my hair either Alison, as you say it was totally painless but I guess for a lot of ladies it is the first thing they think about. Lets face it, it is about the only side effect that most folk know about. Only we know about the really nasty effects.
They said the same to me when they changed to Irene, Oh dear sorry but you will more than likely lose your hair!
It's like when they were going to start me back on Oxy because they reckoned it was the capecitabine that caused the worst side effects. I told them I'd take diarrhoea over anaphalactic shock & PN anyday.
I'll take a bald head over that too.

The Pessimist may be proved right in the end but the Optimist has the better journey.
Vivienne

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 09:55:27 PM »

There you go, the unadorned me now, no hair & no aura!

Hazel
Volunteer Moderator

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 11:13:39 PM »

Have to say my hair is n't the best and as i said it was very near end treatment that mine went, so i wouldn't be surprised if she is right with you.
Not feeling too bad today but missing cold drinks  Sad

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have!
Vivienne

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 11:27:03 PM »

Apart from the PN that is one of the worst things about Oxy isn't it.  I don't like ice cold drinks but don't like very warm water either. A friend of mine some years ago was extolling the virtues of hot lemon water so I thought I would try it, urghhh, just couldn't take to it.
I have asked Spirit & will continue to ask for help where you most need it Hazel & Everyone else. xx
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 09:31:49 AM by Vivienne » Logged

Vivienne

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 08:08:43 AM »

I have a scan on monday so will see if Irene is doing her job.
Still have my eyebrows & lashes.

Healing Thoughts for you all

Hazel
Volunteer Moderator

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 02:59:04 PM »

Your hair is probably far stronger and secure than mine Vivienne, hope that the scan goes ok!!!

alisonhelen
Volunteer Moderator

It's good to be alive!

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 07:33:28 PM »

Good luck Vivienne with your scan on Monday, you will be in my thoughts. I must admit you look good 'au naturel', you have a lovely shaped skull, I doubt if mine will be anywhere near as symmetrical as yours after all the bumps and scars over the years! Perhaps I'll get a tattoo on it with an arrow towards one of the many craters saying Apollo 11 landed here!

Do let us know your results next week and have a good weekend!

Alison x

Come with me on a journey, no map, destination unknown and I'll travel your path with you. We'll hold each other up when the road gets steep, we'll laugh and cry along the way, because I feel your pain and you feel mine.
Vivienne

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 09:35:30 AM »

Well after that last post I've had a rough couple of days.  Ok in the morning but curled up on the couch with stomach pains & having to dash to the loo from about 3pm. Fingers crossed for today, I couldn't even face dinner last night.
I don't know about my hair being strong Hazel, I've always had baby fine hair.
As for the eyebrows, they are still there. I have never been a great one for makeup since I was in my twenties only wearing it for work or if I was going out. I got held up shopping one day & by the time I got home & dropped the baby off with my friend there was no time to put the slap on before getting to the pub for the lunchtime shift.  I felt a little selfconscious but one of the regulars said, "Viv what do you put that muck on your face for, you look better without it" and the others agreed. I only put it on for them so I saw the oportunity to save money & from then on only wore it at night. lol
Thanks for the compliment Alison,love the quip about Appolo but I'm sure your skull is not as bad as you say.
I do hope you are faring well with the treatment Hazel & as I say I am sending Healing Thoughts for all.
Viv x

alisonhelen
Volunteer Moderator

It's good to be alive!

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 10:59:03 AM »

Vivienne, how many more cycles do you have left to get through? Must be awful to feel so rough, especially as you are on your own, I know you said somewhere else that you don't mind being on your own, but it is comforting to have someone around to check up on you. Do you have someone nearby at the end of a phone who would come round if you were really bad? I hate to think of anyone going through the horrible side effects alone, I too like my privacy when feeling bad and usually go to bed and shut the door on the world, but I know my daughter or husband are around should I need anything.

I too don't often bother with make up, only if I'm going somewhere where I need a bit of confidence! Hide behind it if I'm doing a talk or meeting people for the first time, or going to a really posh do (and that doesn't happen very often!) You could always pencil in some eyebrows if you lose them Vivienne, are yours dark? I think you must miss them more if they are, mine are very blonde, so probably won't even notice the going of mine! Some people get them tattoed on....... we're back to tattoo's again!

Hope today is better for you and you get to fancy food again, must keep up the nutrition!

Hugs, Alison

Vivienne

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 11:39:49 AM »

Bless you Alison for your concern but I think if I ever felt bad enough to need someone then I would call an ambulance! lol
My family are 3 hrs away but I guess there are a couple of friends about ten mins away, that is if they are not off doing things with their families.  If I just need company then I have a wonderful bunch of friends on FB, many of them are Healers & some within an hour of me should they feel I need them.
My brows are not as fair as my daughters, (if she didn't wear eye makeup her face would have no definition at all )but they are not dark either.
Tattoos!!!!!! urghhh, I'm not vain enough to put up with the pain of a tattoo! lol 
Another 3 treatments planned, ending on April 27th but depending on the scan results they may add 'cetuximab' & I guess that could change things.

I am working towards being well for the first w/end in July when we hold the most fantastic Healing Fair here in Somerset. I steward at the fair & would like to put a link to the website on here, where do you think would be the best place to put it?

alisonhelen
Volunteer Moderator

It's good to be alive!

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 11:48:06 AM »

Perhaps under the topic 'Living with Bowel Cancer' You would be best to start a new subject in this topic. Good luck with that! Keeping this short as I should have been out of the house 10 minutes ago and my husband is getting a little cross  Roll Eyes !

Alison

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17
  Print  

Jump to: