Share |
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Foods not to eat with an ileostomy  (Read 1250 times)
cath

« on: December 26, 2012, 10:50:39 PM »

is it true that if you have a ileostomy you cant eat mushroom and nuts ?
are  there any other foods not to eat.
If i have a colonostomy can i eat mushrooms and nuts then?
haha  i bet your smiling, but these are my favourite foods . 
chools
Volunteer Moderator

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 11:10:12 PM »

Hi Cath,

I tend to think (and I for a while was one) that some people eat 'something', suffer a leak, and then blame it on the food. The secret for me was to really chew your food, and then chew some more before swallowing. Mushrooms are easy to eat without chewing and then swallowing which might lead to them being the cause of blockages. Nuts were ok for me (again chew).

Enjoy your all your food!

Chools

Illness is neither an indulgence for which people have to pay, nor an offence for which they should be penalised, but a misfortune, the cost of which should be shared by the community
cath

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 11:13:25 PM »

a nurse told me, under no circumstances eat nuts, it doesnt matter how much you chew.!!
do u have ileostomy or colostomy?
chools
Volunteer Moderator

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 09:32:37 AM »

Hi Cath,

I had an ileostomy which was reversed. To be fair nurses are often just trying to steer us away from foods that they might have seen cause a patients problems in the form of a blockage. Some people seem more prone to blockages than others. I can only suggest that you try a little of any food that you are unsure of and really chew. It's recommended that you have minimal fibre in the early days, St Marks have produced this helpful leaflet http://tinyurl.com/blzmxde

Chools

Illness is neither an indulgence for which people have to pay, nor an offence for which they should be penalised, but a misfortune, the cost of which should be shared by the community
louisah
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 05:31:42 PM »

Hi Cath,
This is our booklet about diet which you might find helpful: http://www.beatingbowelcancer.org/sites/default/files/images/EatingWellV5.0FinalLR.pdf

These sorts of foods are more likely to cause problems and so, as Chools has said, your nurses are erring on the side of caution. If you are really keen to try them, it would probably be better to start cautiously, and chew very well.

Alternatively, you could go for some smooth peanut butter or mushroom soup (not together!) which may be less problematic but still give you the flavour you enjoy.

Regards,
Louisa

Louisa
Nurse Advisor
wikey

staying positive and active

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 06:02:42 PM »

yes the risk with mushrooms is they are  too easy to swallow in large pieces and then the body does not process them that well, so a bit like swallowing a plug .

if  you chop them up small or blend them a little then  Therese should be no problem even if you forget to chew.

nuts i eat a lot and just chew them up  and sometime use the grinder on them and add them as powder to cereal or porridge  or other things..

when you eat nuts on their own it is easier to remember to chew them so  that is when i eat them whole..

cheers
 mikey

life is what happens to you while you are planning something else.
suze
Volunteer Moderator

Take Heart.

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 08:55:15 PM »

Your blender is your best friend with a stoma. Cut your mushrooms tiny or blend and ditto nuts- finely chop before eating

Chewing everything is more important now than it used to be. Large bits of food can get stuck if your piping is a bit too angled where the bowel has come through your abdomen. It might get stuck in the bend.

Most foods will get broken up by digestive juices in your stomach but mushrooms and seeds seem impervious to the stomach acid and stay the same size quite often.

Some ppl seem very prone to blockages and it is a miserable, painful thing  Best err on the side of caution but no reason not to eat anything you love to eat.

Sept 2006 Dx. Chemo-rad. to down-size. Jan '07, surgery and ileostomy. March '07-Oct07, 12 cycles of chemo. Jun 08, Ileo reversed.  Oct 09, fresh mets: bowel and lungs. 2nd bowel op. Dec 09-May10, more chemo. 18 months off! Dec 2011, lung mets grew - Jan 2012, lung surgery.
Dec '13 hernia repair
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: