Share |
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Low fibre diet prior to colonoscopy?  (Read 3791 times)
annaspanna

« on: August 22, 2012, 01:32:06 PM »

Hi,
A few weeks ago I saw my surgeon because I had abdo pain that had come on suddenly, 3 months after my surgery. I had an enema and was on a laxative for a couple of weeks to keep things moving! The pain has been much better since then but still comes and goes. I'm booked in for a colonoscopy on Tuesday and just noticed in the info that I'm supposed to be on a 'low fibre diet' for a week before hand. I'm looking at the list of foods thinking 'no way', as I'm scared that will constipate me! I just wondered if this low fibre lead up is actually necessary? I have my last meal on Sunday, then fluid all day Monday and the bowel prep Monday night, so is it really going to matter if I continue to eat normally until then?
Thanks,
Anna
louisah
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 04:19:07 PM »

Hi Anna,

Fibre (or roughage) is found in plant foods such as wholemeal bread, fruits, vegetables, brown rice etc. These foods don't get digested by the body, and come through our digestive tract mixed with the poo, bulking it up, which is why they are so good for helping with constipation.

However, undigested food and fibre residue can be a bit of a disaster in colonoscopy terms, as it can make it difficult for the endoscopist to get clear views.  From previous endoscopy nursing experience, I can vouch for this!

In order to clear the fibre residue out it's necessary to stop eating it several days before, hence the instructions.

I can understand your concerns about getting constipated in the lead up to the prep, but drinking plenty of water should help, as well as trying to do some exercise to stimulate the bowel.  You might also speak to the endoscopy unit or hospital team to get their advice, and to see if there is a non bulk forming laxative you could take in the lead up if you feel yourself heading towards constipation.  Of course, once the prep starts, constipation will not be a problem...

Keep us posted.
Regards,
Louisa

Louisa
Nurse Advisor
alisonhelen
Volunteer Moderator

It's good to be alive!

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 07:23:31 PM »

Hi Anna,

Just some personal advice on loosening your stools, start upping your fluid intake as from now, it really helps things 'flow'!

Best wishes for your colonoscopy, Alison

Come with me on a journey, no map, destination unknown and I'll travel your path with you. We'll hold each other up when the road gets steep, we'll laugh and cry along the way, because I feel your pain and you feel mine.
Feel free to read my blog:-'Why not me?' http://alisonhelen.blogspot.co.uk/
annaspanna

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 09:58:00 PM »

Thanks so much Louisa, that does make sense now - I'll start today because I definitely want them to be able to see clearly!!  I didn't realise there were different laxatives so I'll keep that in mind!

Thanks Alison. I do drink a lot of fluids and exercise every day, so who knows how I'm ending up constipated!! I just end up weeing constantly!!!  Shocked
annaspanna

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 10:36:55 AM »

Undecided the pains are back already. It's too late here now to call but I'll ring tomorrow to see what they think.

Goodness I hope there is nothing sinister going on in there! They already knew there were more polyps they wanted to biopsy/remove and wouldn't do it once they knew there was cancer in there, which seemed to make sense at the time...but now I'm just thinking, if any of those come back as cancer, then I'd be doing it all again?!?  Undecided I suppose worrying achieves nothing though!
louisah
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 09:39:56 AM »

Oh Anna,

Knowing rationally that worrying won't help doesn't make the worrying go away unfortunately...

You won't have long to wait luckily, and hopefully these smaller polyps can just be removed easily.  I am sure that if there was any concern that they would change into cancer imminently, they would have been taken away sooner.

If the pain continues, call the endoscopy unit to get their advice.

Regards,

Louisa

Louisa
Nurse Advisor
annaspanna

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 01:50:44 PM »

Thanks Louisa, I'm sure you're right. No more pain today and another day closer!!!  Cheesy 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: