Share |
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Vitamin B12 ?  (Read 3649 times)
suze
Volunteer Moderator

Take Heart.

« on: May 05, 2012, 10:19:08 AM »

Does anyone have injections for b12 deficiency?  Gonna get my level tested I think. My ileo-ceacal valve was removed in last bowel op. that was over 2 yrs ago.

Reading around it seems b12 is recycled in a normal body and yr liver can store several years worth as well. But i feel me energy levels are dropping and i get increasingly bothered by pins n needles so I guess it could be related.

Sept 2006 Dx. Chemo-rad. to down-size. Jan '07, surgery and ileostomy. March '07-Oct07, 12 cycles of chemo. Jun 08, Ileo reversed.  Oct 09, fresh mets: bowel and lungs. 2nd bowel op. Dec 09-May10, more chemo. 18 months off! Dec 2011, lung mets grew - Jan 2012, lung surgery.
Dec '13 hernia repair
chools
Volunteer Moderator

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 11:26:24 AM »

From what I'ver read over the years injections are usually only necessary in severe cases normally through folk completely knocking out their B12 reserves by regularly drinking alcohol to excess

I've always tested ok for B12 despite the vegan diet and gain the little bit I need through the likes of yeast extract and also multi vitamins

But yes get tested and take it from there

Illness is neither an indulgence for which people have to pay, nor an offence for which they should be penalised, but a misfortune, the cost of which should be shared by the community
suze
Volunteer Moderator

Take Heart.

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 10:35:07 PM »

The reason i am concerned is cos B12 is reabsorbed into the body via the bit of bowel I no longer have. So i must be steadily losing it.

I think I used to see something about  it in IA so maybe I should use their search!!

Sept 2006 Dx. Chemo-rad. to down-size. Jan '07, surgery and ileostomy. March '07-Oct07, 12 cycles of chemo. Jun 08, Ileo reversed.  Oct 09, fresh mets: bowel and lungs. 2nd bowel op. Dec 09-May10, more chemo. 18 months off! Dec 2011, lung mets grew - Jan 2012, lung surgery.
Dec '13 hernia repair
nicolaann

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 02:01:12 PM »

I have just returned from the dr and after a series of blood tests a few weeks ago the one that came back was low vitamin B12  a little worried on this as I thought my diet was kinda ok, I don't eat Red Meat but do eat fish and chicken,  she wants me to have injections but won't follow up to what is causing it as she puts it down to diet,  should I relax on this or should I investigate further.  I am hoping this might help me not wanting to sleep 24 hours a day.

Nicola
chools
Volunteer Moderator

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 02:17:25 PM »

Hi Nicolaann,

I can only relate my own experience of B12. I follow a vegan diet which means I get little in the way of B12 from the food I eat. Partly due to my belief that much of the food we buy contains less vitamins than it once did, and also to make sure I get a good dose of vitamins including B12 I take a multivitamin (Nature's Best Multi-Max which also contains turmeric!)

If you eat meat then liver is considered to be a good source for B12, but you may also find some drinks and breakfast cereals are also fortified.

You need to address the issue, so either a change of diet, vitamin supplements, or a regular trip to the GP for an injection.

Kind regards

Chools

Illness is neither an indulgence for which people have to pay, nor an offence for which they should be penalised, but a misfortune, the cost of which should be shared by the community
suze
Volunteer Moderator

Take Heart.

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 03:38:36 PM »

I'm no expert, but Google suggests you have to have an underlying  problem to get B12 deficient, cos usually it recycles in the body .. but if your problem is that you dont have the bit of your bowel  that re-absorbs the vitamin I am not sure it makes any difference what you put in your mouth and you ned the injections cos that is straight into your blood ...

Ppl who drink a  lot might get a problem cos it is stored in your liver and if the liver is suffering from the alcohol it can make the B12 storgae a problem ..

let me know how you get on nicolann, I will know my outcome in a couple of weeks ...

Dec '13 hernia repair
Louise

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 01:59:07 PM »

Suze,

Before my October 11, surgery I was being tested for pernicious anaemia, my need for surgery overtook these tests.. But I do know if they'd been positive I would have needed B12 injections

I eat healthily as a general rule, so can only assume it was due to the small bowel resection last year and/or the clinical malnutrition I suffered in the months prior to surgery..
suze
Volunteer Moderator

Take Heart.

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 02:43:36 PM »

Hiya --- did you never find out the results of your B12 blood test?  If there was a problem I guess it still need attention?

Dec '13 hernia repair
Louise

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 04:29:47 PM »

My GP wanted me to take iron supplements for four weeks so she could test my bodies ability to regulate/maintain iron levels, she planned a second set of blood tests after the month was complete... However ten days in I had to stop taking the iron so they could do the colonoscopy that subsequently found this cancer.. Then I ended up on the surgery path, So I've never yet completed the tests..
suze
Volunteer Moderator

Take Heart.

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 05:30:10 PM »

Well, if there is a problem there it might be worth pursuing at some point?

Dec '13 hernia repair
Louise

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 07:09:38 PM »

Today I found out I need chemo , so I'm guessing my bloods will be well and truly scrutinised for some time now ?
Hazel
Volunteer Moderator

Everything is better in Purple!!

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 09:18:25 PM »

They will Louise, you have a blood test the week after chemo to see how things are going and then one the  week before to check that your count is high enough to have the next dose.

Call the nurses on 08450 719 301
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have!
Blogging at http://elkamouri.blogspot.co.uk/
Below is a bit about me and bowel cancer
http://www.beatingbowelcancer.org/forum/index.php/topic,1677.0.html
suze
Volunteer Moderator

Take Heart.

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 07:54:32 AM »

Yes they do look at your blood all the time, but I am not sure the tests show up what we need to know on this.  For sure they do not routinely check for B12 per se  - 

I have most of my blood tests in my folder and I can see .. what they will show is red blood cell counts.  What we are interested in is the cause of a low count.  tbh my count is not that low, so maybe I am just looking for reasons fo rmy symptoms and need tolook elsewhere!  Wink

I reckon that if you have a concern about B12 and pernicious aneamia unresolved from previous tests you should discuss it with them. I don't know why they would presecribe IRON for pernicious anemia, cos they seem to be two different things, iron shortage is one problem, B12 shortage is another, and B12 shortage  is the one they call pernicious anemia.  Agan, this is only from reading on tinternet, and not medical training!  Cheesy

I find this issue quite confusing and the GP I tried to talk to didn't really clarify it, tho he did refer me for a B12-folate test.

It seems
that whatever causes it anemia it  is about having  insufficient red blood cells and hemoglobin.  Usually caused by low iron levels but also caused by low B12.

Dec '13 hernia repair
chools
Volunteer Moderator

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 07:48:11 PM »

Also a thread here re B12 http://www.iasupport.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11229&title=vitamin-b12

suze
Volunteer Moderator

Take Heart.

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 11:32:47 PM »

Thanks Chools, will read that later -- I saw a GP today, and he reckons it is a good idea to establish a baseline of the B12, but because my blood readings are OK atm, I am not aneamic and thus the fatigue must have other causes ... so he is interested in my thyroid now ...

re  B12 --- he said it used to be routine to start B12 injections for ppl who had their illeus removed, but now it tends to be on a needs-must basis cos the liver can store enough for several years in a normal situation ... so it could take a while to work through what I should have stored from before the surgery ...

As for the thyroid function thing, it might be a result of low iodine on a virtually vegan diet, do you supplement for iodine?

Course it might just be knackered by all the treatments and not really anything else!

Dec '13 hernia repair
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: